4 Stroke vs 2 Stroke...which is better?

smsscuba

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I know this topic probably has been the cause of many brawls, but I want to upgrade to a 50hp for my RIB.

Should I purchase a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke outboard.Any suggestions out there?

Many thanks

robert graham

Admiral
Re: 4 Stroke vs 2 Stroke...which is better?

I prefer the simplicity of 2 stroke pre-mix outboards. Mix oil with the gas, keep gas clean, fresh and stabilized, not much to go wrong, with just basic preventive maintenance. Fuel/water separator is a very good idea for either a 2 stroke or 4 stroke motor. 4 strokes have oil sumps/filters, cams, belts, valves, etc. 2 strokes have very good power to weight ratios. My 90HP 2 stroke Yamaha weighs 261lbs., a 4 stroke 90HP Yamaha weighs 369 lbs., that's over 100lbs. difference! I might buy a 4 stroke someday but for now l'll just keep this 2 stroke! Good Luck!

crem1

Petty Officer 1st Class

4 Stroke is much more fuel efficient and quieter-But more complex to fix and much heavier
2 stroke is easy to fix and light but not fuel efficient

Jeep Man

Commander

I have to say that there are more parts, and more things to go awry, but I do like my 4 stroke. very fuel efficient ( about 5 litres per hour on a 20 foot pontoon), quiet and clean burning. That being said, the new 2 strokes, such as the Evinrude E-TECs give the 4 strokes a run for their money. I cannot comment on the weight comparison, but I hear they are just as complex as a 4 stroke.

oldgradywhite

Petty Officer 1st Class

4 stokes are nice, quite, ect but are prone to more problems then the good old 2 stroke. In that hp range the amount of gas you would save in a di or 4 stoke wouldn't make up the extra cost of the motor and maintaince. Jest my to 2 cents:confused.

two0four

Recruit

twostroke! new dfi's have comparable fuel consumption to fourstroke as well as noise levels. power to weight ratio is much better than fourstroke. under 75 go fourstroke if you want. over 75 get a di twostroke