Mercruiser Smartcraft

Josh_G

Cadet
I've got some questions about the whole Mercruiser smartcraft system.

Is a smartcraft throttle control necessary when working with a merc 496 which is smartcraft enabled? I know that it's basically a system that allows for the sending of information to gauges and other devices but there isn't much info available at the Mercruiser site about how the engine is controlled.

Basically I'm looking at buying a 496 mag and dropping it into an older boat, a '91 Chris Craft Crowne 252, and need to know if I'm looking at dropping the additional 500-1500 for smartcraft controls. I'm upgrading from an OMC 351 King Cobra.

Update:

So I'm doing some looking and I think I've answered my own question, but have brought up some other questions.

1. Will my current gauges be compatible with the 496?

2. Are there any other things that I'll need to replace once this gets dropped in?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser Smartcraft

1. Will my current gauges be compatible with the 496?

Ayuh,... Probably,... But there'll no doubt be wiring issues at the cannon plug, goin from OMC to Merc...
2. Are there any other things that I'll need to replace once this gets dropped in?

That depends on how Complete the 496 Package is.....

Josh_G

Cadet

Can you elaborate on what connections will be going through that cannon plug?

I've already got a brand new bravo transom assy. that I'm going to be installing in the boat along with a used bravo 3. The place I'm getting the motor is including the steering actuator with the motor. I'm betting that I'll need a mercruiser tilt/trim pump and also perhaps a new throttle/shift control in addition.

Can you think of other parts that I'm missing? I'm prepared, as in most large projects, to be ordering bits and pieces as I go but being prepared for larger items is helpful.

As always thanks for the input!

Bondo

Staff member

Can you elaborate on what connections will be going through that cannon plug?

Ayuh,... The Big Plug, where the Boat,+ the Motor interface, Electrically,...
I'm Guessing the pin count,+/or wiring will be Different....
Can you think of other parts that I'm missing?

It's hard to say what you're Missing,... I donno how big of a Pile of parts ya got Now....
Like I said,..."That depends on how Complete the 496 Package is".....
Is it a Long Block, partially dressed, Fully dressed, EFI, Carbed,??????

Josh_G

Cadet

So basically the cannon plug is the interface between the boat wiring harness and the motor wiring harness . . . I realize this is a simplification.

The motor I'll be getting is a full motor, MPI, closed cooling, it's a motor that was pulled from a 2008 boat for an upgrade. Mostly I'm wondering if I've named the big non-electrical bits that I'll need. Transom assy. Outdrive. Tilt/trim pump. Steering actuator. Throttle/shift control (might I be able to retrofit what I've got here?).

Bondo

Staff member

So basically the cannon plug is the interface between the boat wiring harness and the motor wiring harness . . . I realize this is a simplification.
The motor I'll be getting is a full motor, MPI, closed cooling, it's a motor that was pulled from a 2008 boat for an upgrade. Mostly I'm wondering if I've named the big non-electrical bits that I'll need. Transom assy. Outdrive. Tilt/trim pump. Steering actuator. Throttle/shift control (might I be able to retrofit what I've got here?).

Ayuh,... You got it...

The only Gotchas I see are the godawfully priced little bits,+ pieces that probably stayed with the repowered boat it came from...