Egine power "slipping" Volvo Penta SX 5.7 I/O

Bluewater2002

Recruit
My VP sx 5.7 engine started to "slip" and loose power after running for about 30 mins. The sound is as if the engine is on high RPM but not engaged in gear., when I idle down, the prop gets "engaged" again. I have checked the Porp and bushing no problem there. I just spoke to a mecahnic who told me that the "torque disc" from the engine to the outdrive is worn out. he felt with bhis hand and the rubber gasket was hot and melting. Does anyone know what he is talking about, what would I need to replace to fix. This mechanic indicated that the entire engine must come out in order to fix.
Thanks
Jon

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Egine power "slipping" Volvo Penta SX 5.7 I/O

Sounds like he is talking about the engine coupler.

Do you have your drive puuled every year and your alignment checked?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Egine power "slipping" Volvo Penta SX 5.7 I/O

I just spoke to a mecahnic who told me that the "torque disc" from the engine to the outdrive is worn out. he felt with bhis hand and the rubber gasket was hot and melting.

It's called a "Coupler", it bolts onto the flywheel of the engine, and the outdrive input shaft is splined and slips into the coupler. It's what is used to connect the engine to the drive. When the rubber breaks loose, they do what you describe.
It was probably out of alignment, which is what caused the coupler to fail.
The engine has to be removed from the boat to replace it.