93' johnson 150hp fastrack outboard?

N1NE1

Petty Officer 1st Class
hello again,im looking at buying a 1993' johnson 150hp fastrack outboard,one cylinder has 40lbs compression, he said they have the heads off and theres slight scratching on the cylinder,and the outside of the piston is burnt up.i didnt see it for myself yet but was just wondering what i should look for when i go take a look. im looking to buy new pistons and rings/seals and rebuild it. theyre selling it for 300 with the harness and gauges. do you think i should buy it? its at a marine mechanics shop. just wondering why they dont want to rebuild it themselves if its just that one cylinder..he said it does run.any ideas on what could of happened and whats wrong, its a 3hour drive to go see it so im hesitant so far

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: 93' johnson 150hp fastrack outboard?

That's more of a personal/time and financial call, do you have the funds and time and tools to rebuild it??? It's going to take $$$ to get it running again and god knows what else is wrong with it.

Risky

N1NE1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 93' johnson 150hp fastrack outboard?

well time is something i have alot of, i really didnt want to put anymore than a few hundred into the rebuild,the part that gets me is that im curious as to why they just wouldnt fix it themselves being they do it everyday and prbably have the parts laying around, i've rebuilt about 6 v4's from 87-97' and they were fairly simple, never a v6.i just dont want to waste the 300,buy it and find out theres more of a problem, i may just have to pass on it.i guess i will try to get some info out of them.see if he gives in.would be good if i can get him to start it up for me, the damage is already done so it dont really matter if it starts