pump out head/fresh water flush?

JP Fla

Cadet
Considering buying a cruiser that only has a porta-potty. I want to put a pump out head in with waste water holding tank, but want it to flush with fresh water, NOT sea water. Is this possible, if so where is a good place to get diagrams of equipment needed and how to install? I've considered vacu flush, but way too much money. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: pump out head/fresh water flush?

All manual heads use raw water because the pump system could back flow and contaminate your fresh water tank I would not reccomend hooking it up any other way. The only type that use fresh water are vac u flush or other simmiliar electric heads all of which are about the same cost (expensive). If you use a head sanitizer and pump out after every outing I have never had any odor problems with either system. The other down side to the vac u flush system is repair cost if anything breaks. The vacume generator alone is $1000-$1500. what it all boils down to is remembering it is not a home toilet it is a marine head empty after every outing and as soon as you pump out add deodorizer.

JP Fla

Cadet

Would it be possible to use an electric head with either the existing fresh water supply, or better yet, add a small fresh water supply exclusively for the head?

My reasons for not wanting to use sea water are because some of the water I boat in is river water, not very clean to begin with. And, I really don't want to put another hole in the boat under the water line.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

don't use your fresh water tank but you could add a toilet water tank.... you could even drain your grey water into it.... then if you ever run out of toilet water you just need to run the sink or take a shower..... obviously you would still need it to be able to over flow overboard when full

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

I have installed many a Jabsco electric head feeding off the fresh water tank. You need an in-line check valve that Jabsco sells. The feed line has to be formed in a vented loop, sort of a redundancy from having any excess water from the flushing cycle making it's way back into the freshwater tank. The check valve installs on the pressure side of the pump.

Both the feed to your boats fresh water system and the electric toilet are 3/4", so a simple Tee fitting off the pump will feed the toilet.

JP Fla

Cadet

Thanks for the suggestions, big help.....

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have installed many a Jabsco electric head feeding off the fresh water tank. You need an in-line check valve that Jabsco sells. The feed line has to be formed in a vented loop, sort of a redundancy from having any excess water from the flushing cycle making it's way back into the freshwater tank. The check valve installs on the pressure side of the pump.

Both the feed to your boats fresh water system and the electric toilet are 3/4", so a simple Tee fitting off the pump will feed the toilet.

but a manual (less expensive) head won't be safe that way even with a check valve. because the manual head pump draws water right at the head there is no pressure side to install the check valve or vented loop in.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

You know, I was thinking about that. This actually is my favorite head to install, because of the simplicity:

ITTJabscoManualMarineToilet.gif

Normally installed with a raw water pick up feeding the toilet. So why not a tee just off the FW tank that runs straight to the plunger intake, with the same check-valve and vented loop feed? Yeah, it would take more pumps to flush, but you're still feeding the head with a source, albeit one inside the boat...;)

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

just set up a 5 gallon grey water tank to supply it.... that way after flush you refill when you wash ur paws

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Because the vented loop and check valve need to be on the pressure side to function properly.

Those heads work great as long as you take care of them like anything else on a boat.

The only reason I have a vacu flush is it came with the boat I don't think I would spen the money to install one aftermarket.

Bluepike

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks to the previous owner, my boat has two fresh water tanks, one for the head and one for everything else. Looked like a simple way to do it. He put it a "tee" where you fill the tanks and a hose from the one to the head. I'd rather have the fresh water circulating thru there then raw water.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Take a look at this one- Sealand Marine Traveler

http://www.sealandtechnology.com/productpages.asp?pid=37

It's on the short list of heads I'm considering for my boat. Built-in 10 gallon holding tank, and can be hooked up easily to your fresh water system . Not as pretty as most, but simple. Costs $400-500.

You'll still need to install a deck vent and pump-out if you don't already have them.

Thetford makes a "porta-potti type MSD with 5-gallon fresh water and holding tanks, and battery-operated flush. That's even cheaper.