Thermal Paste

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander
My son is building a computer and some of the chips/boards require Thermal Paste on the connectors.Could someone please tell us where we could acquire some.

Thanks in advance.

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Thermal Paste

Good electronics stores will have this, but I have a question on thermal paste on connectors.

Thermal paste is used between heat sinks and the chip they mount to, like the CPU. I have never heard of them being applied to a connector.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks guys.

He didn't have everything out of the package he received and it was there.

Bucks45

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've used it several times. Just google "thermal paste". My local Radio Shack actually has it. Good luck.

rogerwa

Commander

If you get down to the cities, you may want to take him to Microcenter in St louis park. It is one of my favorite stores.. It is the walmart of computer stores. It will have the paste and anything else you would need..

www.microcenter.com

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks guys.

He didn't have everything out of the package he received and it was there.

Glad to hear you found it. You only need a few small drops - about the size of a grain of rice on the cpu. Be careful and don't get any on the pins or on the socket. If you do, it'll clean up with isopropyl alcohol but you really don't want any of the thermal compound on any contacts or connectors.

Good luck, nice thing is that you have to work really hard to break something when assemblying a computer ;)