Fishing Cape Ann - Great Whites

Fly Rod

Commander
Do not know if any of you saw the fishing program a few weeks ago about radio tagging great white sharks off of our coast this past summer. It was on a national broadcast fishing show They had tagged a half dozen great whites close to the beaches using a spotter plane and a harpoon boat to tag the sharks. One of the sharks that were tagged was located recently off of Jacksonville Florida, a satelite picked up the beacon. I have seen makos and blue sharks while bottom fishing for cod and haddock but never a great white. With the seal population growing in our area I'm sure that that is attracting the great whites. There have been reports of great whites grabbing good size stripers from striper fishermen while reeling the fish in the past but most other fishermen never really believed it.

Some day in the future I'm sure we will all realize that they are here when a surfer or someone swimming along the beach encounters one.

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Fishing Cape Ann - Great Whites

We have some pretty good sized whites out here also. As a fisherman it would be awesome to see one come up, but as a surfer, NO THANKS.

That would be a pretty dead-eye shot to hit a moving shark from a moving plane... I think I would rather have a helicopter. How fast were they going when they took the shot?

Fly Rod

Commander

Sorry, Maybe I wasn't clear. They used a plane to spot the sharks then the plane alerted the tuna fish boat to the sharks position and then from the pulpit of the boat they used a pole with a tag on the end and stuck the shark.

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class

ahhh... haha yeah that makes more sense... now that I re-read I just misread that