Possible overheating

cashworth

Cadet
Hi - I have question related to the post by "surfsidewood" posted on 23/10/2010.
Yesterday I started my Engine for the first time in 5 months on trailor with muffs. (Volvo 5.7gsi SX outdrive on year 2000 Four Winns 205).I noticed when the engine was warm, no water was coming out from the prop as it usually does. Hot water was coming from the gimbal housing and steam from the prop. This didn't look right and so I shut the engine down as the temp gauge was getting near red. I tried a couple more times but no difference. I winterised the engine with antifreeze (not recomended I know but the boat is kept in a heated warehouse) and had no problems when I did this in August.
My question is (at last) is do I have a problem here and if so how to sort it?

Thanks
Charles from UK

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Possible overheating

When was the last time the raw water pump impeller was changed?

cashworth

Cadet

Hi Don,

I changed the impellor at the start of last season (April 2009). As I say, when I winterised in August everything was fine. I have owned the boat from new and have done this every year myself after the Volvo warranty ran out.

Thanks, Charles

cashworth

Cadet

Thanks for info Don.

I'll have to wait till weekend though to investigate further, I'll let you know.

Regards, Charles

cashworth

Cadet

I would still pull the impller and check it. Hard to say what could have happened to it.
Could also be as simple as low flow from your garden hose to manifolds & risers getting plugged up.
Have a look at this Volvo overheat diagnosis tutorial.
http://www.4shared.com/file/50572185/e88f1d89/Volvo_Penta_Overheat_Diagnosis.html

Hi Don and anybody else reading this.
I managed to investigate further today and found that water now comes out from the prop as normal. I just did not have the drive low enough (just call me stupid!). Just as a matter of intrest, where does the water/exhaust split between coming out of the prop and coming from below the gimbal housing? I would have thought that it would all come via the exhust bellows through to the prop.
One last point, should the thermostat be changed at set intervals or just when things go wrong?

Thanks for yor help,

Charles