SEI 106 ordered

Gnarly

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ive got a big salmon/halibut season planned this year with friends and relatives coming to fish in the old starcraft islander pretty steady for July and August, so to make a long story short although my drive is quiet and working well I went and ordered a complete SEI 106 in 1.81, new prop,lower shift cable and a manual. Anyone have any feedback or experience with these drives, they come with a 3 year no fault warranty. Also are any of you guys running the pertronix ignition on your 3.7's and if so what are your impressions as thats most likely my next upgrade.
n1a1lj.jpg

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: SEI 106 ordered

It that a picture of paulina lake?
I bought a se106 spring 2009. Outdrive went on fine no problems. The outdrive is noisy at first, lots of gear noise. Follow the break-in procedures and change the oil after 10 hrs of running (under power), trolling does not count for time for break-in.
Mine got fairly quite at about 25-35 ish hours. I now have 100 hrs of running/tolling on the outdrive (2009 season).
my 100hrs of fishing was done in the pacific ocean.
The reason I got the sei was because my old 140 had gears going bad and cost to rebuild was too much $$$ compared to the sei.

Where are you going halibut fishing from?

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have reaserced these drives a lot! and from what I have read they are the same as a mercruiser drive, same parts, just a different company puts them together and does not throw in a huge markup with it. I am getting ready to order one for my boat, for $1200 and a 3 year warranty you can't go wrong!

DI35

Seaman Apprentice

the first thing I put on my engine was the petronix ignition
have had no problems
this year I`ll add the new coil as well something like a zillion volts

http://s714.photobucket.com/albums/ww148/DI35/

send a picture of your 3.7
one with all the wireing and transom
I still have not added alternator no need

Gnarly

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Elkhunter , its Metakatla pass between the harbour here and Chatham sound in Northwest BC. I'll be fishing in Chatham sound for halibut and salmon this summer.
The price on the drive certainly is right and the warranty is excellent , Im glad to hear your having good luck with yours and I'll be keeping my original for a spare just in case a guy hits a rock or something.

Gnarly

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thats a nice Holiday you have there!!, I bet it goes pretty good with the 3.7 in it. Anyways here's some pics and thanks for the pertronix feedback
177on9.jpg

j7go45.jpg

2v8jnrm.jpg

atu1oo.jpg

truckermatt

Petty Officer 1st Class

i ordered a SEI 106 complete drive july 09.... i have about 40 hours on it so far and all is good... i just need to adjust the shift cable... but no big deal.
as said already, change the lube after 10 hours and then every 50-100 hours.. or seasonal.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Gnarly! Is that lady in the rear faceing seat your fishing Buddy???? LOL that Photo. of the Pass is on of the most Beautiful views I have seen of north B C. WOW. Good luck on the change over. Every thing you show is in Mint condition. If I didnt have 45 Breeding and Show dogs mine MIGHT look that good.

Gnarly

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey guys it got here today fedex right on time, man Im impressed, perfectly packed in sturdy boxes with fitted foam and the upper and lower look great. I broke down and ordered the pertronix II ignitor and epoxy filled flamethrower II as well. Ebay had a like brand new transom/gimbal/bellhousing assy with zero corrosion so thats on the way as well.
gonna be a busy little boater for a bit!!
You guys know if I've got to pull the engine to get the transom assy off or is it doable with the stove in place?

elkhunter338

The transmon assembly supports the engine, so if you leave the engine in place you will need to support the engine some how. I suspect it will be difficult to support the engine, reach all the bolts, and get teh transmon assembly out.
I have had my 140 merc. engine out several times. 1. spun engine coupler, 1. replace transom, 1. failed engine, 1. because new engine fly wheel bolts hit housing by a coupler thousands. I can get the engine out in about 1 hr or less. I would pull the engine and move it forward in the boat enough to give you room to work.
Make sure and check your engine coupler is in good shape. look for worn splines. When they fail the fail all of a sudden.
Good luck with your project and I am hope the sei works our good for you. So far the first 100hrs on mine has been a success.

Gnarly

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thankyou for the sage advice elkhunter and for explaining the fact that the engine is partially supported by the transom assy, I wasnt aware of that and now understand much better.
Well , I banged it together tonight after work, went together well other than the new solas prop I bought for it. It only fits without the spacer that was on the other prop and when I torque it up it binds up against the lower housing.
Its a solas and it didnt come with a spacer for under the prop, it is making contact with the beveled section of the output shaft and everything looks as it should ,the splined washer under the nut is engaged and everything is fine but once I get more than about 10 foot pounds on the nut the prop makes contact with the housing.
any ideas?
2v15e9c.jpg

2h2f9c1.jpg

256tfyx.jpg

Gnarly

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It seems not all thrust washers are the same, I need a thinner one it would seem any of you guru's know the right pn?

Gnarly

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Update
I finally got some time to work on the boat , got the prop washer sorted out , installed the pertronix 91146 module and flamethrower II coil and hauled the motor out of it this morning in order to change the transom/gimbal/ bellhousing. Gave the bilge a good scrubbing and hopefully in short order will be reinstalling everything
20az8n6.jpg

coupler is in good shape with nice square splines and no discernable wear

v5fq4y.jpg

pertronix

2r61htf.jpg

Oh yeah some of last saturdays catch

2w6cax1.jpg

25740m9.jpg

elkhunter338

Nice looking catch. Looks like you ventured out fishing in a different boat than the starcraft. Got your engine back in your boat yet?

Gnarly

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not yet, Im waiting for the exhaust water shutter Ive got ordered , have a few small items to correct in the bilge, (replacing rivets) and have been busy wiring it for a dual battery setup under the passenger seat in order to move some weight forward and get the battery out of the stern.
We took my buddy Nick's boat (22 foot welded broadwater with yammy 225) and had quite a day out in the salt last saturday, limited on lings and rockfish and Nick picked up a nice halibut on cut plug herring. I better get the lead out though as the salmon fishin will start to pick up in April.

Gnarly

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Pugetsound, I've never had Octopus soup but it makes great halibut bait!!!!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Quite the haul there Gnarly:)

Those rockfish have eyes just like a walleye. Pretty neat looking fish.

Gnarly

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Starting to go together, ebay transom/gimbal assy (new bellows , hose and gimbal bearing / shift cable) with new sei rams and lines. I picked up a couple of sheets of 5052 16 guage metal with 40 feet of one inch angle and 20 feet of 1 inch tubing for when I get the motor back in and the new leg on, gonna get cracking and build a hardtop for her.

20qgx35.jpg

elkhunter338

keep us posted on that hard top. I am looking at building a hard top in a couple of year when my canvas top and side curtains expire. I reinforced my top with some wood supports and restreached it. Then it leaked horrible and I solved that with 2 coats of rubber roof coating, worked real well if you never want to remove the top. So for now I am good for a few more years, but I was thinking of a hard cover when my canvas top gives out.
Outdrive job looking good,
What is all the green looking grease for?