96 Seahorse 4hp

Hi,

Bought a Johnson Seahorse 4hp back in November last year, tried to start her for the first time yesterday, nothing doing.
I'm useing the internal tank with a 1:50 mix of oil and petrol.
Not sure which of the 2 fuel positions to have it switched to.
One seems to be for internal tank the other for an external supply, but its not really clear which position to use.
Tried both with and without choke and with and without a little throttle - NOTHING.
Does anyone have any ideas ?
She's a nice unit and has only had around 12 hours use in her life.
Also, didn't get a user's manual - so I'm struggling a bit.
I'm also sure its nothing serious but any advice or suggestions will be gratefully taken on board.
Many thanks in anticipation

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: 96 Seahorse 4hp

I guess you are in Great Britain somewhere when you say "petrol"
Couple of questions to begin with.
Did you see the motor running when you bought it ??
Can you post the model number so we can all relate to a model and year. (port side of transom bracket usually)
Are the spark plugs getting wet ??
Could be a number of things causing your none starting issue.
Posting a photo of the motor may help as well so we can all see which one you have.

Hi,

Yes calling from Scotland
She's a BJ4BREDS and the plugs are getting wet and there is a spark.
Many thanks for taking trouble to reply

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

How good is the spark ?? did you check it with a tester ?? did it jump a good gap ?? Was there old gas (petrol) in the tank you are using ???
Originally from Liverpool myself.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Yes a model number may help but I note you say in the heading that is a '96 model (everybody misses it if you put it in the heading!)

Sometimes the Belgium made models for the UK market are a bit different to those marketed in the USA but :

Firstly I would clean the plugs and if necessary reset the gaps to 0.030" (0.7 - 0.8mm) The plugs should be QL77JC4 or QL86C
Check that you have a good spark at each plug, preferably using a spark tester to ensure that they are able to jump 9 or 10 mm.

If no sparks check all the wiring but espc the kill switch. It's not one designed to have a safety lanyard is it?

If sparks Ok check that you do have a good flow of fuel to the carb inlet. Tank venting and filter clear.

Blowed if I know which way to turn the tap to use fuel from the integral tank though!

Pull the choke knob fully for starting and use a bit of throttle. AFAIK there are no interlocks between starting and throttle or gears.

Its possible that the carb will need cleaning but unlikely (Not cleaned mine since new in 1985)

Owners manual should be available from Ken Cook www.outboardbooks.com maybe from a UK dealer.

Good for spares in the Uk are www.Willsmarine.co.uk in Kingsbridge and www.Outboards-direct.co.uk (aka Oakley Marine) in Brighton.

Good for boating advice in the Uk www.ybw.com/forums

EDIT I see you have now posted the model number ... nothing more to add on that score.

If plugs are wet possible that the carb is flooding due to stuck float or valve not seating or just flooded due to choking.

Good sparks and fuel getting into combustion chamber ... it must go ... got no choice :)

Hi,

Many thanks to you both for information and advice.
Have taken out both plugs and found them oiled up.
cleaned both and sprayed iside of plug leads with WD40.
Then half filled my "wheelie bin" with water and bolted motor onto it, pulled cord - She started first time.
Many ,many thanks to you both for your assistance
Is the OMC manual the one to go for ??

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Hi,

Many thanks to you both for information and advice.
Have taken out both plugs and found them oiled up.
cleaned both and sprayed iside of plug leads with WD40.
Then half filled my "wheelie bin" with water and bolted motor onto it, pulled cord - She started first time.
Many ,many thanks to you both for your assistance
Is the OMC manual the one to go for ??

The original manufacturers manual is the most expensive but by far the best. Worth every penny in my opinion.
Glad all is well with it.
How is it cooling ??? and did you change out the lower unit oil ???
Better safe than sorry.

hi,

Thanks for all your help, no I haven't checked lower oil, but your right of course so will do.
Do you know how the motor tilts ??
There is a chromed pin which comes out OK and also a lever.
Just don't want to force anything
Thanks

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Are you saying that even once the catch is released you cannot tilt it?

just stiff I guess. The bolt on which it tilts has friction bushes each end so just slackenning the nut on the bolt a touch will probably free it.

Nut is #19 in THIS DIAGRAM bolt is #21 and the bushes #55

Hello again,

Again many many thanks for your help and information links.
I was wondering on the best method of flushing my motor after use.
Can you use the "rabbits ear" device ? or is there some other method ??
Or, do you need to do it at all ?
Also, what is the school of thought re fuel tanks ?
Is it better to just use the small internal tank or a seperate auxiliary ?
Your advice will be most welcome and again sincere thanks for all information so far.
I have my 4hp 1996 Johnson Seahorse on a Bombard AX3 Aerotec Inflatable and hope to use her for fishing in Scottish sea lochs.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

The "muffs" type can only be used when the water intakes are on the side of the lower unit. I dont think that applies to your 4hp. They only fit larger engines anyway.

Flush it by running it in a dustbin (trash can) or barrel of fresh water. After every use if you can.

Fuel tank choice depends on your use I would think. If the integral tank holds enough just use that but use a remote tank if you need more to avoid topping up the integral one.
Don't buy a whacking big tank though or you'll end up with a load of fuel to dispose of at the end of the season.

Hi,
Had a successful "sea trial" on Firth of Clyde this morning taking my Bombard inflateable + 96 4hp Johnson Seahorse out from Inverkip Marina.
All went very well on the water, useing both internal tank and a 12litre aux tank along with Attwood fuel line and bulb with OMC fittings both to engine and tank.
My problem started on way to Inverkip with the motor carried in back of car, head up across the folded up Bombard. She is seeping fuel from the fuel cap area. not sure if its the cap or the cap vent but both are securely fitted and closed with nothing looking wrong or missing when cap is removed and inspected internally.
I suppose I could run internal tank dry and always use the seperate aux tank and problem would be solved.
Is there a problem with fuel leaks in circumstance I have described ??
Is there something I'm doing wrong ??
Any suggestions would be appreciated and many thanks again for previous information and help.