Aluminum to Stainless

173sport

Cadet
Here's the needed info:

1. I want to switch from the current OEM aluminum prop to a Turbo Hot Shot prop and need to know what pitch to go with.
2. Current prop: Aluminum Yamaha part # 6H5-45945-00-EL. (Cupped Prop)
3. Diameter: 10-5/8x13
4. 31mph (GPS) @ 6200rpm
5. Yamaha F40TLDR 4 stroke 2005 40hp
6. 2005 G3 Eagle 165. 16' 5" advertised hull weight 860. Motor dry weight 198.

Hole shot is pretty good for a four stroke. I should be able to raise the motor up one hole as it gets no venting in turns with the motor trimed up.

Thanks,
Mike

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Aluminum to Stainless

Ayuh,... I'd think a 13" in whatever prop you want otta work...

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Just be forewarned that you are not going to see any dramatic increase in speed......mot with a boat and motor of that size.

mpsyamaha

Petty Officer 1st Class

if you want top speed you could try a 15p and raise the motor up a hole. it should pick up a few mph, but it will drop the rpms. a 13p in ss might be your best bet for all around performance.

its tough to estimate going from alum to ss though... i remember i went from a 17p alum with no cup to a Solas 17p ss with a little cup and lost 700 rpms. obviously i didnt keep that prop.

173sport

Cadet

Thanks for the replies. I've heard from some people that you need to drop down 1 pitch when changing to stainless. I've done some set ups on higher hp rigs and I have found that different manufactures may state the same pitch but the rpm's can change as much as 1000rpm. I just didn't know how much change it would make on a lower hp rig.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I know nothing about the hot shot but::
any prop change is an educated guess.When you change materials,design and brand you introduce even more best guessing.Your speed and performance seems very good based on your setup.Going to stainless is not a cureall you might net a few thenths to perhaps a couple of mph.Just raising your motor could net a mph under ideal conditions and perhaps a slightly better hole shot.You might go to the prop co site and work your numbers.Have you read up on the hot shot performance characteristics?You might check out the Turning point Hustler or Rascal Not sure which one is intended for a 40 hp.A really agressive aluminum prop that can produce across the board improvement at about 1/2 the cost of stainless.You should go to the tuurning point site and put in your numbers.Again you would be changing brand and design so results could vary.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Buy from a dealer that will let you test and return till you get it right. Even if it costs you more initially (as compared to the price asked by a dealer that once out the door it's yours) you will be happier in the long run.

My limited experience with props is such that you can't compare an alum to a SS, especially one of the special purpose/HP types, so it's impossible to guess what the right swap would be.

But as Steel said, with a 40 hp, you probably aren't talking about a lot of change.

Mark