Stiff Steering ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

YmeHP

Seaman
Hello, I currently own an '89 Donzi Z-22 w/ a Mercruiser 350 and OMC outdrive. The steering is really stiff as if there is almost no powersteering. I've replaced the powersteering pump but this has made little difference. I'm now assuming steering cables, would this be correct? If so, how do I assure that I get the correct set? Are these things universal, reason I ask is the stock controls have been replaced with another set by a previous owner and I'm unable to indentify them. Do you think I'm on the right track assuming it's the steering cables or am I out of line and you have gotother suggestions?

-Thanks

havasuboatman

Ensign
Re: Stiff Steering ?

It's the cable. When you remove the old one look it over at the transom end. There you will find the numbers (style and length) you need to reorder.

YmeHP

Seaman

It's the cable. When you remove the old one look it over at the transom end. There you will find the numbers (style and length) you need to reorder.

Thanks, is it possible the wrong cable was installed in the first place or would that be hard to do? Is it common for the cables to go bad? Also, is this a job I can perform myself w/ general knowledge of tools and mechanics?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Have you unhooked the cable at the steering actuator next to the engine and see if it was still stiff?

90% of the time it is the cable and yes they do go bad.
I doubt its the wrong cable unless it is too long and has a kink or hard bend in it.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It may not be the cable, so before you replace the cable, try this. The picture below
is from a Mercruiser, but yours will be similar. Remove the attaching nut and see if the steering frees up, normally what happens is the SS rod corrodes inside of the aluminum tube and causes the stiff steering. You may need to remove the cable from the power steering cylinder and clean out the tube and relube.

Frozensteering.png

smarks

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I to am having a similar problem. Is this a difficult job? I'm very mech. inclined and have tools. I have a 1989 4.3 liter Cobra set up I just purchased.

cr2k

Captain

If you are having a similar problem you should start a similar thread and not jump in on one in progress. This will keep answers from getting mixed up. And the moderator from yelling at you.

Status
Not open for further replies.