Question for those smarter than I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Case450

Seaman Apprentice
I bought an 18' aluminum starcraft boat two days ago. It's already been gutted and all that remains are the floor ribs. I already know I will have to replace the transom.
I wish to rebuild the boat completely as it's already stripped and turn it into a tiller.
My question pertains to strength and hull integrity. When I build a new floor I will be attaching that directly to those ribs? The ribs will be my anchor points and everything off that will be glued and screwed to the floor?

In my head I see two boxes in the back corners of the boat, for seats as well as to house the gas tank on one side and battery on the other.
The center of the boat will house a bench/storage bin combination and the front of the boat will have a small casting deck approximately 4" higher then the main bottom floor.

This being considered, there won't be much structure at all reinforcing the sides of the boat. This open concept design has me questioning whether or not the boat will suffer from "torque twist"? Not too mention it's ability to withstand the pounding of the waves.

Long before I get started i'd like to get some pointers and advice, pictures, recommendations so i do it once and it gets done right! I am extremely excited to start this project and have been surfing this site non stop for the last three hours! I love it!

Thanks for your time guys!!

tallcanadian

Captain
Re: Question for those smarter than I

Why don't you change the title of the thread to put the word Starcraft in it. You will get lots of responses from incredibly awesome boaters. Good luck and post some pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.