Motor all of a sudden knocking/clanging and lacking power

jayard78

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was out fishing the other day and as I was heading back to the dock I tried to get my boat up on a plain and the motor (1986 Johnson 50hp) started to make a knocking/clanging noise which increased in tempo as the throttle was increased.

I slowly got back to the ramp and did a compression check and it had not changed from what it usually is 148 and 149. (Phew!)

So then while taking the spark plugs out I noticed there was a lot of oil build up on the lower plug and the plug wire on the lower plug was not seated well. I cleaned the plugs with a rag and replaced them before heading out to my next fishing spot. The boat was still doing the same thing, I could not increase my speed b/c of the knocking and lack of power. I used my trolling motor the rest of the day (which was interesting on a windy ocean day).

So what you guys think? I was thinking only one cylinder was firing, BUT the motor always runs nicely. When I get some time I will get some new plugs and new gas and see if that helps but would like some opinions if you guys have any.

Thanks! Yarrrrgh!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Motor all of a sudden knocking/clanging and lacking power

check lower unit oil, for metal pieces.