Kicker motor

gonefishie

Commander
Does anybody know of a 9.9 2-strokes kicker that runs 50:1 fuel mixture ratio? I want to add a kicker to my boat and hoping to be able to use the gas from the main tank. Any recommendation for a bolt on kicker plate that would fits a 1997 120HP Force?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Kicker motor

About any 9.5 to 9.9 since 1964 will work for 50:1.To the best of my knowledge there isn't an adapter to put a kicker on a bigger motor.Usually they put a mount on the transom.

gonefishie

Commander

Do you know how they rig this setup like in the pic below, do you think they steer with the steering wheel or with a tiller handle?

kickersetup.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

They probably have an EZ steer rigged up so the helm controls will work.

We've used them for years and they work great for trolling.

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0030613010974a.shtml

Are ya gonna be trolling for walleye or salmon?

I'll let ya know when I have a place in Traverse City BTW, still working on that:D

fishrdan

Admiral

I saw a newer boat rigged with a dual helm, it was rigged like like that from the factory, don't remember the MFG though. The helm accepted 2 steering cables, 1 for the main and 1 for the kicker.

The steering links posted my HA and EZ would be easier to install, and cheaper.

gonefishie

Commander

They probably have an EZ steer rigged up so the helm controls will work.

We've used them for years and they work great for trolling.

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0030613010974a.shtml

Are ya gonna be trolling for walleye or salmon?

I'll let ya know when I have a place in Traverse City BTW, still working on that:D

Not gonna be trolling. There are a few lakes around here that are 25hp or less and 10hp or less only with good fishing. It takes forever to get around with just my trolliing motor and if there's decent wind, forget about it. I might just go with a 101lbs thrust TM, that way I can take advantage of the TM only lakes too. It would be tough to fit a gas kicker on the back of my boat anyway.

Huron Angler

Admiral

You could always throw a kicker bracket on there if you're lacking room on the transom. Got a photo of the stern?

You could also just use the electric and just rig up a sail for windier days:p

gonefishie

Commander

The pic is not of my boat but the business end looks exactly the same, except the boring colors.

700lxrearend.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

You could put a kicker bracket on there but it wouldn't be easy.

Nice boat though:) How fast?

chuck in WA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Fishermen use them for trolling because they burn less fuel and have the ability to push the boat more slowly than the main engine at idle (a big engine, even at idle, will often carry too much speed for trolling). They can also be used as a safety device - i.e. if the main engine won't start the kicker can be used to get back to the dock/marina/shore.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Built my kicker from parts over the summer (bought it rough rough shape just to match my other motor, kicker and main motor are 1983's), I bought the tilt omc bracket as well, I have multiple small motors and will run this on the bracket in the upright position, I will drop the bracket for the short shaft motors.

hpim08171.jpg