Steering Problem

I Have A 20ft Twin Vee The Boat Wants To Steer To Starboard , I Have Tried To Adjust The Trim Tab On The Motor It Does Not Help Much . What Next?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Steering Problem

I am not familiar with a twin V. Is it a V hull with twin engines, or a twin hull, like a catamaran? Location of weighted items in the boat can cause chine tripping which could cause the problem....shift weight to the side opposite the way it turns. Engine trim position affects trim tab performance. Prop type, especially the high performance SS types. If twin engines, having counter rotating props can help.

Mark

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Cruise in a clockwise direction! Agree with Mark, could be a weight balance issue.

robert graham

Admiral

If all else fails you may need to consider installation of trim tabs on your transom, but try everything else first. Is your zinc trim tab on motor cavitation plate turned as far as possible? I have mine turned all the way to starboard and it steers pretty good but pulls some at certain speeds. I understand the hydraulic steering really solves the problem! Good Luck!

QC

Supreme Mariner

Twin Vee is a catamaran . . . I am assumuing this is a single screw based on your description. Considering I believe he is talking steering direction or steering effort I am not sure how trim tabs come into play especially with a cat . . .

Are you saying that the wheel turns when you let go? Or are you saying that you have to hold her hard to port to keep her from going to starboard? I have no real experience with a Cat, but this may be normal depending on the effort required. Does the effort and/or tendency change depending on RPM and speed? Are both sponsons clean and symmetrical i.e. same shape and both are flat with no hook or rocker?