Problem with an 89 Evinrude 48SPL

jash1178

Seaman
It was running fine then all of a sudden sounded like it wanted to stall out but did not. It then sounded like it was bogging down and no matter how much throttle I gave it it would only run very slow even when opened up all the way. Any ideas? I just bought a brand new complete gas line hookup and am running a 6gal. plastic tank also new. 3/4 of the tank was fresh fuel and the other 1/4 was about 3 weeks old and there is no fuel filter on the line. :confused:

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Problem with an 89 Evinrude 48SPL

Check compression, then spark.

You really need a full sized water separating fuel filter with your motor.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Is the tank venting properly?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

is arrow on bulb pointing toward motor?

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

did the problem only happen AFTER you installed the new gas hose and bulb?

or was that part of your troubleshooting?

I have a 50 that just did the same thing.....after running good .

i didnt change anything...it just started running like you describe..

found out it was a bad spark plug!!
it just went out of the blue!!!!

ran great up until it didnt...sounded like it was running on one cylinder...but it didnt stall when I pulled each plug wire seperately.

found it when i ran the motor in the dark...you could see the lightning spark jumping from the wire boot to the plug body!!

in any case good luck

bob

jash1178

Seaman

It kept losing pressure in the line and the bulb would go soft after a little while and then at idle it would stall and then I would have to repump the bulb to get it restarted. I changed the whole line and bulb and it quit stalling and then the next time I took it out is when this happened. Yes the arrow is pointed the right way and the vent is always kept wide open.

Last edited:

bktheking

Vice Admiral

The line it supposed to lose pressure, the pump draws fuel, it doesn't pressurize in the line. Sounds like a carb service is in order. The fact that you can restart it right away means it's getting spark. If it wouldn't restart then it wouldn't have spark. Check compression first, it's free (if you own a gauge that is :))