Help Identifying Part From Control Box

sparky4612

Cadet
I was checking the connections on my 1984 Mercury control box and noticed that a small comma-shaped black plastic part fell out at some point. It's only about 1/2 inch tall and less than 1/4 wide. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Greg

j_martin

Admiral
Re: Help Identifying Part From Control Box

I was checking the connections on my 1984 Mercury control box and noticed that a small comma-shaped black plastic part fell out at some point. It's only about 1/2 inch tall and less than 1/4 wide. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Greg

My crystal ball is broken today. Could you tell us what motor it is?

sparky4612

Cadet

My motor is a 1984 Mercury 115. The control box is the single lever Quicksilver. Sorry

j_martin

Admiral

My motor is a 1984 Mercury 115. The control box is the single lever Quicksilver. Sorry

On the bottom of the control box should be a model number and serial label. With that you should be able to look up an illustrated parts list at mercurypartsexpress.com or mercruiserparts.com

Close up pictures might get a rise out of someone here, also.

John

sparky4612

Cadet

I figured out where this part belongs yesterday. I broke off a plastic piece in the upper handle of the throttle/shift control. It held the end of the long metal rod in place that kepts you from accidently shifting out of neutral without pressing the thumb button on the end of the handle. It looks like it was already weak before so I'm not real confident it will hold. Thanks everyone!