Remote control compatability question...

ksubigbuck

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Will the remote from a '94 Evinrude 115 work on a '77 Johnson 115? They both have the red connector.

Thanks,
Hunter

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Remote control compatability question...

they have red connectors, but different, throttle/shift cables, but, i have made the work though.

ksubigbuck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Actually, (going by memory here) I think the throttle and shift cables are the same...or very close anyway. The concern I have is that the 77's control box has a warm up lever, but the 94's doesn't. Or am I missing something.

Thanks,
Hunter

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade

They will work, but the controls will not have the warm up lever so you will have to slip the shifter out to advance the timing when starting so the motor does not go in gear. Usually the shifter either pulls out to give you throttle only or there is a button on it that you push that gives you throttle only.

You will also need the retaining clip from the 77 cables to fasten the 94 cables to the 77 motor. These are still available if you do not have an old set of cables available.

It will work fine after everything is adjusted.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

There are over twenty different controls listed in 1994, but the standard pre-wired side mount single lever control certainly does have a warm-up lever and is electronically compatible with the 1977 motor.

The 1994 shift and throttle cables are not compatible with the 1977 115, which has different cable casing guides, but can be rigged to work.

ksubigbuck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys! I mounted the older motor on the newer boat this morning, and everything seemed to go smoothly! The newer control box does have a seperate pigtail (5 or 6 wires)bundled with the big red plug...I'll have to figure out what that is for. And the old boat had an extra wire going to terminal #2 of the '77s power pack....no idea what for but I suspect it is some sort of sensor/alarm.

Thanks for all the help!
Hunter

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The second harness is for a PT&T.

There should only be one wire to terminal 2 on the powerpack. Click the thumbnail, please.

Attachments

• Powerpack Instructions.JPG
    Powerpack Instructions.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 0

ksubigbuck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh, my old motor's TnT didn't have anything like that. It did have a great big cable like a battery cable though. I will have to start inspecting until I get everything figured out.

Thanks,
Hunter

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Oh, my old motor's TnT didn't have anything like that. It did have a great big cable like a battery cable though. I will have to start inspecting until I get everything figured out.

Thanks,
Hunter
The PT&T harness wires should be green with white, red with white, blue with white, tan with white and tan with black. The two tan wires are for the trim gauge.

On the 94 motor the relay box was on the engine. The 1977 PT&T used a solenoid system box mounted on or near the transom.

You can use the 1994 switch and wiring but you will need to re-route the wiring for the box.

ksubigbuck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The second harness is for a PT&T.

There should only be one wire to terminal 2 on the powerpack. Click the thumbnail, please.

Hmmm, mine definitely has two wires going to the power pack term #2. One certainly shouldn't be there...I'll check into it.

As for the solenoid box mounted near the transom...mine doesn't seem to have one. I guess someone has done a hack job on this motor. I'll get to the bottom of it though!

Thanks again,
Hunter

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

If second wire was on the blk/yel terminal it was likely a kill switch...