90 hp mercury 2 stroke 2000 model

keywest00

Recruit
Hey guys it's my first post on the forum, I just traded out my jeep and got a boat. My question may be pretty simple to answer. I live in central northern florida and was wondering how expensive is it to have the engine fully serviced? I am some what fluent with mechanics but when it comes to outboards they are completely a foreign subject to me.
I have several more question to follow but would like to start here.

thanks in advance, d

Last edited:

miker-gr

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 90 hp mercury 2 stroke 2000 model

If your outboard is a classic 2 stroke (equiped with carburator) then the standard service (change oil in the gear, fuel filter, impeller, sparg plugs ,greasing) it's an easy task!
Further involvement sometimes is a risk

keywest00

Recruit

yeah it's a carb'd 2 stroke. How much does it usually run to do the work yourself and how long roughly? Also, what is the normal idle rpm for this style of engine? Next question, synthetic oil, does it consume less than standard 2 stroke?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Not that big of a problem. Getting a service manual will help you through the impeller and changing the lube in the lower unit. Also setting the low speed knob on the carbs. I use Mercs best oil which I suspect to be either Syn or blended. Also use Penn full Syn. Syn burns clean in that engine...have one.

Mark