1960 40 hp johnson seahorse ( Compression )

blue88gt

Recruit
I have a 1960 40 hp Johnson seahorse, i checked the compression, and it has 90 on top and 80 on the bottom, is that enough compression for that motor..??? it idles fine,but has no top speed.. the engine wasnt used in about 6 years.. i tryed using sea foam but mad no difference..

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1960 40 hp johnson seahorse ( Compression )

carb cleaned and rebuilt, new gas adjustments accurate, good spark?????? see the top secret file. 1st theard in this forum

blue88gt

Recruit

i never cleaned the carb or anything, before i put anymore money into it i want to know if 90 and 80 pounds of compression is good..

bktheking

Vice Admiral

As best that can be expected for a motor that hasn't run in 6 yrs, should start if everything is in order, carb, water pump, spark etc etc.

blue88gt

Recruit

the motors runs good, just dont have very good top speed..

bktheking

Vice Admiral

The carb is probably full of junk, got spark on both plugs? I bought a 1964 40 hp that hadn't run in 2 yrs and had to clean and adjust the points, clean the carb, do a link and sync, replace the water pump and change the plugs before it would run right. Your motor is probably going to need some attention before it will run properly, 6 yrs is a long time without use to gas it up and go, especially if it wasn't put away properly.

Check the easy stuff first, these motors will have no power firing on 1 cylinder, they idle nice on 1 cylinder, it's to trick us owners. Then clean the carb, it's a must.

jdsgrog

Chief Petty Officer

clean the carb as everyone says. also, does the carb have two needle valves? if spark is good on both cylinders and it starts fine, it's likely a carb issue. if there is a high speed needle valve, adjust it according to the "top secret file". when i adjusted my '67 33hp, my top speed jumped from 22mph to 27mph.

one other thing, your compression may change after you get the motor running for a while. something else that will increase compression is a decarb of the motor with seafoam. again, look at the top secret file.

lindy46

Captain

I have a 1960 40 hp Johnson seahorse, i checked the compression, and it has 90 on top and 80 on the bottom, is that enough compression for that motor..??? it idles fine,but has no top speed.. the engine wasnt used in about 6 years.. i tryed using sea foam but mad no difference..

How did you test compression? With the pull start or the electric start? Did you pour some Seafoam into the cylinders and let it soak overnight? That will help free up stuck rings.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

That compression is kinda low for a three ring motor with the compression releases. Then again, the compression releases might be why your readings are low and different between the two. Did you test with the hand starter or with the electric starter? If you're using the hand starter, then you'll want to unhook the compression release lever, from the hand starter assembly, in order to get an acurate reading.:cool:

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

1946 Zephryr: Let's try my guage

mungo

Cadet

The carb is probably full of junk, got spark on both plugs? I bought a 1964 40 hp that hadn't run in 2 yrs and had to clean and adjust the points, clean the carb, do a link and sync, replace the water pump and change the plugs before it would run right. Your motor is probably going to need some attention before it will run properly, 6 yrs is a long time without use to gas it up and go, especially if it wasn't put away properly.

Check the easy stuff first, these motors will have no power firing on 1 cylinder, they idle nice on 1 cylinder, it's to trick us owners. Then clean the carb, it's a must.

Hi BK and all-----what are the implications caused by running this (or any other twin cylinder) with just one cylinder working---what damage will be caused? ie.--if one cylinder cuts out when you are a long way from the ramp and you have to drive it back. cheers

bktheking

Vice Admiral

None really, I've had a bank on my v4 cut out and I had to run it back to the dock about a mile out, when they are down a cylinder (or 2 in my case) they won't rev fast and have no power to plane out the boat but it's something you want to attend to before taking it out again. Just take it slow and don't beat the motor to death and it will be fine. As an alternative a kicker is always nice for a backup just in case.