Replacing Brakes on Jeep

Andrec4016

Seaman
Newbie here to towing, I just got a 18' Manatee Cuddy Cabin and pulling with a 2000 Jeep Cherokee no problem pulling it but stoping is a bit harry :eek: , thinking of replacing my brakes on the the jeep should I go heavy duty disk brakes on the front or heavy duty drums in the back.

kence

Cadet
Re: Replacing Brakes on Jeep

If you are having trouble stopping, brakes on the trailer may be the safest course of action.

Bondo

Staff member

Heavy Duty Brakes,..... Don't Increase the Braking Capacity..... Just Longevity....<br /><br />Put some Brakes on the Trailer..........

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

ChryCo says anything over 2000 lbs needs trailer brakes, and especially on the lightweight unibody Jeeps. I added trailer brakes to my trailer last summer and it made a huge difference in stopping. Complete brake kit from Champion Trailers including the brake line (surge drum) is about 390 or so. Your axle has to have brake flanges or you can have em welded on, or get a custom made axle from Champion with the flanges welded on. That's what I did and it worked out great!<br /><br />PS I am pulling the Four Winns with a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee (only a little bigger than the Cherokee, but but has 4 wheel disc brakes instead of rear drums) and I know the feeling of the boat pushing you through every stop sign! <br />Trailer brakes are required in most states if the towed load is at 3000 lbs or more.

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

AndreC,<br /><br />Does your trailer have brakes? Is this a new boat or used? How old?<br /><br />If so it is common for brakes on trailers to be bad because no one maintained them. Brake fluid low, air in the lines, seized wheel cylinders, rust, etc.<br /><br />If you have brakes take a look at another thread going on here at Malfunctioning Surge Brakes on 22' Prestige Tandem-Axle Trailer for a discussion on checking your brakes.<br /><br />Let us know what you find.

Andrec4016

Seaman

The trailer is a 86' load rite trailer fair condition no brakes but it does have plates behind the hubs, by the time you add up the boat and fuel and what have it should be about 2300+ lbs, I guess its time to flip the coin over electric or hydrolic you wouldn't wait to start that conversion again thanks all it saved some time and money over changing my car brakes

tommays

Admiral

electric is not the best pick if your doing saltwater<br /><br />tommays

Andrec4016

Seaman

I'm not too concerned about the water I will have the boat in a slip all season and the boat will get lifted on and off the trailer, but I'm looking for good responce from either system when I'm on vacation traveling or at the end of the seasons..