Transom Rebuild

Breynolds

Seaman Apprentice
I am in the process of redoing my transom. I have opted to do a pourable transom. I am planning on going with Arjay. I looked at Seacast and I think it is a good product also. My reasoning for my choice is it looks like the Arjay or Nida bond is more pourable and I will get a more even pour that will fill every void. I would love to hear from someone that has used these products and hear what you have to say. Any feedback is greatly apreciated.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Transom Rebuild

Why don't I move this to the correct forum into restoration ;)

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I am looking into both arjay and nidabond. I have my transom ready to pour, but I cannot decide on a product. the nidabond is the cheapest, arjay runs like $260 for 5 gallons, but I want a product that is good. I too would be interested in hearing opinions.

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer

I was new to boat restoring when I started on my boat but I cannot say enough about the seacast. I used it on my transom and stringers last weekend and this stuff was super easy to prep and pour. As long as you make a big enough funnel (see my thread) you will have no issues at all with seacast. It took me and my friend and hour and a half to do both the transom and stringers.

Withing an hour it started to kick and within 4-5 hours it was cooled off and hard as a rock!

I covered the seacast quite a bit with pics, descriptions, and videos in my thread.

Breynolds

Seaman Apprentice

I ended up going with the Arjay. This stuff works awesome. I now have a very strong transom. 1 word of caution though. Be sure every tiny hole is sealed because it will find a way out. I didn't take any pictures but if anyone has any questions about it I will help if I can.

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

I am glad I read over this post becasue I was going to go with sea-cast and it is $90 more than Arjay per 5 gallon bucket:eek:
One question I have is- Did the buckets come with everything you needed or did you have to buy the catalyst seperately.
Thanks!

Last edited:

Breynolds

Seaman Apprentice

You have to buy the catalyst seperate but it is fairly cheap. Stuff called mek-p I think it was around 9 dollars a pint. and that was enough for me to do 11 gallons worth. I got my stuff from fiberglass services out of Fla they are some real good guys to deal with. Shipping is a little high but I liked the idea of it being so pourable. That is what turned me against the seacast. I wanted to make sure it got into ever crevice. From what I have read on here seacast does not flow as good. Just make sure you cover any holes because this stuff will find them.