Volvo SP-A Trim Pump Motor

Kenepela

Seaman Apprentice
I have two AQ131D motors with SP-A outdrives. The starboard outdrive does not trim up or down. When I push the switch, either up or down, I hear the relays clicking (both ways) but don't hear the motor trying to run. The port side one works. I checks the wire connections for both relays and motor and they look fine. Where and how should I start to diagnose this problem. Should I take both wires coming out of the motor and connect them directly to the battery to see if the motor is working? I wanted to but didn't want to burn anything up, uneccessarily. The cost of Volvo parts has been adding up toooo fast. My other thought was to change the motor with the port side one, but not the easiest to get to and trying to save my knuckles from anymore blood shed. Thanks for the help.........again!!!!!!!!!!!

havasuboatman

Ensign
Re: Volvo SP-A Trim Pump Motor

That's the quickest way Isolate your problem. If jumping to the batteries makes the trim motor work, AND you have supply power to the relays, replace the relays.
If it still does nothing when you jump to the battery, faulty motor.
If you find that your wire connections are corroded, clean every thing before you start testing.

Kenepela

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Volvo SP-A Trim Pump Motor

The motor did work when connected directly to the battery. Ordered new relays today. Thank you