Whew, that was close.

Tyme2fish

Commander
My computer crashed. PANIC !! I couldn't get XP to load because I did something stupid. (Don't even know what I did).

Computer will not load. PANIC No Internet. PANIC. No iboats.com.REAL PANIC.
eek.gif

Tried loading in SAFE MODE and that didn't work. Still no Internet connection. I finally got a good date for SYSTEM RESTORE And here I am.

Y'all don't know how relieved I am now to be back on-line with the world.

While trying to reload my computer, I somehow got to ADMINISTRATOR MODE. I am the administrator but have no idea what my password was/is so I was stuck again. Reboot and try another approach. Through sheer luck I was able to regain control and all is well in Tyme's little world.
biggrin.gif

It's good to be back and I didn't have to call the Geek Squad!!!
smile.gif

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Whew, that was close.

That sounds a lot like some of my adventures in cyberland.

FBPirate95

Master Chief Petty Officer

Real panic is when the blue screen of death appears......YIKES!!!

Jeep Man

Commander

I know what you mean. I got a virus a couple of months ago and lost iboats for a week. I'm almost weaned of the anti-anxiety pills now.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

And here is me thinking you had gone south for a long holiday in the warmth.
Cheers
Phillip

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Glad you got er figured out, I just spent my today reformating the hard drive and doing a fresh OS install...I got nailed by some wicked nasty browser hack that kept redirecting me, tired everything under the net's sun with no luck... thank the stars I religiously backup every day or three to an external drive... no loss other than time. Worst part was all the updating...restart, restart, restart, on & on & ...gotta smile now though, runs like new. :D

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Download this and run it, Trust me its safe and won't mess up or change any on your compu, Plus its free :), http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html

If that was directed towards me, no help...I use it daily along with adaware, search&destroy, and have system mechanic from Karpersky..I tried switching browsers, disabling add-on's and even tried to download other security app's, but kept getting kicked to ad's...system restored back 1 week and still no help. While in IE I even used their online scan to no avail...finally figured I was overdue for a thorough cleansing anyways, but jeez it sure was a doozie whatever it was.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My box got screwed up bad Sunday I ended up losing/deleting a bunch of photos when I tried to recover the machine. Mostly junk photos but I know there were some good ones I'll never see again. I took it to the geek squad today and its $200 to fix.
I sure hope the pics come back but I doubt it.

I almost feel like hoarder fretting over those pictures but I kinda liked em.
Very hasty and stupid decision on my part, had spare box in the basement that works fine the whole time, thats what im using now, 2-3 days to fix at the geek squad.

PW2

Commander

I got a nasty virus Christmas Day on mine. Something or other just took over my computer, and pop-up boxes went out of control, and you couldn't tell which ones were official MS boxes telling me I had a problem, and which ones were actually part of the problem.

My computer is one that I had at my office when we closed the office, and I'm sure we have an OS recovery disk somewhere, but it's in one of maybe 200 boxes stored away, and I wouldn't have a clue where to begin to look. I took it to our local geek, and my only hope was to reinstall the OS.

Replacing it was not exactly in the budget, but I got a decent one refurbished at Overstock.com for a reasonable price, and I managed to recapture most of the lost data.

What a pain!

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There's always some kind of crap to raise your BP.

Bucks45

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just got mine up and running again yesterday. It kept showing that I was running at 100%. I was no where near using all of the memory. I tried everything and eventually had to wipe it out and reformat. I was able to save the pictures, but lost about 45 gig of music. Oh well, back on iboats again!

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

My computer just crashed this weekend due to a virus the OL got off of Facebook. It took out Internet Explorer first and later consumed all of the hard drive space as it destoyed other programs. I was able to get on-line using a back up browser for a day or two and do a few things. Before she locked up, I downloaded all of my pics and other valuable stuff........My PC is an old machine. I bought it in 2002. It has never given me trouble. I started shopping for a new PC....Instead, I did a little research using a computer at work and decided to just put in a new hard drive. I am not a computer tech and did the swap in about 5 minutes, then reloaded XP from the master disks. The computer ran better than it had in years. Just this morning I upped my ram from 256 to 1G, something I would have done years ago if I had know it was a 5 minute job a monkey could do. It runs better than it did new. The cost of the hard drive was 49 bucks. The ram was 50 bucks.

BTW, becareful on Facebook. The OL's sister got the same virus and it took out her laptop.