Jug of RV Antifreeze Froze

huckle

Cadet
Just curious if anyone can explain why my jug of RV antifreeze is frozen at +10 degrees outside when it is rated for -50 protection. The jug was not dilluted with anything.

Thanks

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Jug of RV Antifreeze Froze

frozen solid or slushy?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Bad batch??? Was it a name brand?

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

The stuff will freeze at +10, it just does not expand like water does until -50, so it won't break anything.

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I've seen the -20 degree stuff freeze,Thats when we went to the -50 degree AF I think I'll put some of this in the freezer (Ya just can't trust anything these days)

huckle

Cadet

The jug is froze solid. DOW is the maker of the antifreeze. Is their any warrenty with the product do you think?

Thanks for the input.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I did some research and this is what I found..... Propylene glycol antifreezes are designed to provide burst protection to temperatures of -50? F or below. Ice crystals will start to form in -50 RV Antifreeze at temperatures around +10? F and will appear to be solid ice at around -10? F to -15? F. Propylene glycol based antifreezes continue to contract and will not expand until temperatures of -50? F are reached, thus providing burst protection for pipes

Call Dow if in doubt

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Holy crap! That is the brand i used on my RV!!
I would be calling Dow Chemical...
I will be checking my RV today....:eek:
Too bad i did not keep the receipts for it.

I have used that brand for several years with no problems but maybe it was a bad batch.

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If it froze that hard I would be draining my block and manifolds!Don't count on DOW for anything.

huckle

Cadet

So RV antifreeze can freeze solid, but when it freezes it protects against burst protection not freeze protection. In my education don't things expand when they freeze?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Re-read what Bob_VT posted, especially the part I highlighted in red.

I did some research and this is what I found..... Propylene glycol antifreezes are designed to provide burst protection to temperatures of -50? F or below. Ice crystals will start to form in -50 RV Antifreeze at temperatures around +10? F and will appear to be solid ice at around -10? F to -15? F. Propylene glycol based antifreezes continue to contract and will not expand until temperatures of -50? F are reached, thus providing burst protection for pipes

Call Dow if in doubt

huckle

Cadet

Called Dow and they told me to call Wal-Mart for product support. They said they don't have any information to provide. WEIRD...Like they are wiping their hands clean of any problems. I asked what do I do if my engine is shot. They said that is for Wal-Mart to handle, not DOW.

Anyway Thanks for the replies. Everything is pointing to don't worry about it until it gets -50 outside, then worry :)

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's not the freezing that's the problem, it's the EXPANDING that cracks your block.

As noted, the EXPANSION of the antifreeze doesn't occur until -50 so you're good.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Beleive it or not, undiluted (no water) antifreeze will freeze at a much warmer temp than when mixed properly. Ethylene glycol (used in most cars/trucks) freezes at 8 degrees ABOVE zero if it is not mixed with water. Freezing in this case means turns to slush, it will not "hard freeze" which means it will not expand and crack the block.

I've had regular car antifreeze turn slushy on me before in really cold weather. It saved the engine, nothing burst, but I nearly overheated also. Slush doesn't exactly pump through a standard water pump very well!

Alumarine

Captain

I've had regular car antifreeze turn slushy on me before in really cold weather. It saved the engine, nothing burst, but I nearly overheated also. Slush doesn't exactly pump through a standard water pump very well!

That's why they don't recomend a stronger than 70% Antifreeze/Water mixture for automobile antifreeze.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

It sounds like that's what's to be expected based on what the manufacturer says....I tried this with a jug of -60 stuff at zero in the freezer and the same thing happened...not real comfortable with this being in an engine all winter so I use the more epensive -100 stuff...that stays liquid way down to at least -50 so there ain't now way you will ever have a problem with it...expensive but I don't have to think about it all winter....

Bondo

Staff member

not real comfortable with this being in an engine all winter so I use the more epensive -100 stuff...

Ayuh,.... The stuff I use is Free,+ won't Freeze at even -200?,.... Celsius, or Fahrenheit...
It don't Expand either,....

Air just Don't Freeze......

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer

I basically use the free stuff too.
Drain engine/manifold/cooler, dump some old used car 50/50 mixture antifreeze in engine/manifold/cooler and then redrain the antifreeze out.
Zero cost and if there is some water left over it gets mixed with the antifreeze then drained back out. My area only gets to about -15 to -20 so I should be in great shape.
Free is a good price.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

here's the deal...

50 50 antifreeze / water freezes at a much lower temperature... so mix it with water and you're good to go...