please help me???

jackleman

Cadet
ok like a dummy i sanded through the old gel coat on my ranger. I did it in multiple places trying to get old clear off. the flake is silver and need help on what to do next. I really would like to roll on paint but what about the flake can i still add it? will it lookk stupid? lol im new to this so bare with me. Brian

drewpster

Commander
Re: please help me???

First let me qualify this by stating I have no personal experience restoring metal flake gelcoat. Wait around long enough and someone here may have the perfect process to fix it.
But here is what I have heard and read on the subject.
Metal flake coatings in gelcoat, and paint for that matter, are notoriously difficult to repair. The processes the manufacturers use to create them are generally proprietary. Recreating them to do a repair in a small area is going to be difficult. In order to make it look right you would need to match the pattern and size of the flake and the color. I am sure it can be done, but I bet it takes some meticulous work.
It may be more beneficial to consider gelling the whole boat. But that has its own challenges sometimes outside the weekend worrier's skill set.
Personally, I would give painting a real strong look before making a final decision.

jackleman

Cadet

so then i guess i would primer the whole boat then shoot the color with flake then shoot the clear? does this sound right? thanks so much

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

skip the primer for gelcoat, and I think the flake is in the first layer of clear.

jackleman

Cadet

since i will be painting over the gel coat, i dont need a primer just a good sanding? and since i have some areas with silver flake showing will the new flake be enough to cover up the silver flake?

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

The new flake wont cover the old completely but may distract the eyes enough not to notice it. you are in a tough spot. Before you gelcoat read Oops' hull extension and my threads on gelcoating. It is not easy at all but can be done.