Boating with your Dog

Ryanbabz71

Cadet
Just curious does anyone out there boat with your dog? I am in the market for a boat and trying to figure out a good way to include the dog since he will be making the trips with us to the lake. He is a water dog (black lab) and I would rather him not go jumping out while we are moving. Do they sell any type of restraint systems for dogs other than holding him on a leash? Just curious.

Thanks!

trendsetter240

Lieutenant
Re: Boating with your Dog

Just curious does anyone out there boat with your dog? I am in the market for a boat and trying to figure out a good way to include the dog since he will be making the trips with us to the lake. He is a water dog (black lab) and I would rather him not go jumping out while we are moving. Do they sell any type of restraint systems for dogs other than holding him on a leash? Just curious.

Thanks!

Hey, yep I boat with my dog and I've even ferried my friends pooch in there as well on some camping trips. I have a 17ft runabout with closed bow. My dog (german shepherd) never tries to jump out. He's usually content to curl up on the floor and try to sleep. Friends dog is a lab, same deal with her.

I'd recommend keeping a leash on the dog but not fastening them to the boat. If they fell over or you capsized that would only make things worse. Also consider getting a doggy lifejacket. Most dogs would be fine swimming but they will not tire out as easily with some extra support from the PFD.

Ryanbabz71

Cadet

That makes sense didnt know if they made any "break away" type devices. We had him out in our 14 ft rowboat last yr and he tried to jump in after my dad casted (he was on land) his pole out.

204 Escape

Ensign

We have 4 dogs. A full size collie, a basset hound, a scottish terrier, and a toy poodle.

We only take one at a time, but they all wear a life jacket. We put them in the water, with a leash on them, and they swim pretty well.

Sometimes they sleep on the floor, sometimes on the seat, and sometimes they are hard to control !!!!

NONE of them just jump in the water !!!!

The basset, probably couldn't swim for very long without the jacket. The collie, likes you to be right there with him. The other two, are indifferent.

They get along pretty well, EXCEPT, the basset hound has gotten sick a time or two.

I believe that Kansas, REQUIRES a life jacket for the dogs !!!!!!! We have a leash on them when going across the water, BUT THAT is as close to being restrained as it gets !!!!!

As stated, if the boat turns over, .....................

mpod

Seaman Apprentice

Didn't know that Kansas requires lifejackets on dogs. We have taken our Westie out a few times and always put a jacket on him.

He hasn't jumped in the water yet but he likes to hang over the edge so one rogue wave is all it would take. He's not a great swimmer.

Our Am. Eskimo doesn't like strangers so we keep him home to guard the house.:D

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

keep him off the bow when you're running or you'll wind up with a tripod bassett hound like my buddy.

sebber83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I always boat with my Dog (Golden Retriever), He loves it, the only thing is we have to try extra hard to keep him in the boat when stopping to switch riders on the wakeboard, he especially likes retrieving the Handle when we throw it out to the rider. He is a great swimmer, but I always strap a lDoggy Life Jacket on him just in case, dogs can get swimmer's cramps like us, and if he would fall out at speed, there's a chance he could knock himself out, so a life jacket just makes sense. I should add I have a Bowrider and he loves to be in the bow with the wind in his face.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I boat with 2 Boxers.They love it once they figured out they can swim with a life jacket.If no life jackets they sink like rocks..:)
They ride really well just like in the truck.
They can smell the lake from about 5 miles away and get all excited...lol!

Camping-LakeFall08217.jpg

Camping-LakeFall08313.jpg

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

He never tries to go overboard unless we're near the dock, then we put him below until we're ready for him to go ashore.
DSCI0563.jpg

He's comfortable just about anywhere on the boat.
1AllNikoTrip303.jpg

He loves the water.
AllNikoTrip384.jpg

And he's great company...
1AllNikoTrip344.jpg

His only boating fault is that we haven't been able to teach him to go potty aboard yet.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

well as for keeping the dog from jumping in..... get an electric collar and train him..... Take time to learn about it though and try it on your self so you know what it is doing to the dog...... With most dogs all it takes is learning that you CAN disipline them and after that all they need is to have the colllar on and hear a beep or two.

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

We have a 16' jon boat and in front of "our" seats there is plenty of room for
our two mutt's, 60lb. lab mix (the grandma) and 50lb. boxer/beagle mix
(the puppy).

They both love it although the pup is leashed because he wants
to chase the bait when you cast. Grandma just lay's down and
sleeps just like in the truck on a long road trip.

When we take them along we usually beach the boat for awhile
so they can swim and run along the shore. They both are "smiling"
at the end of the day.:) (as are we):):):)

Bearfan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Pontoon boat, so no problem with the dog being comfortable. Always with a life vest on.

What kind of dog is that jeffnick? Looks a lot like our Goldendoodle.

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

Can't keep the dog off the boat. His favorite spot on the Century is standing on the engine case and the faster we go the better. He also likes to ride in the tube (3 person) with his "sisters" but we've nixed that as were tired of replacing tubes (they're expensive) from punctures.

Attachments

• IMG_1476a.JPG
    IMG_1476a.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1500a.JPG
    IMG_1500a.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2549a.jpg
    IMG_2549a.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010043a.JPG
    P1010043a.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 0

lprizman

Chief Petty Officer

of course!
picked up Hoopah the day before the first pick on the boat,,the next day was at Matunick beach,,,broke him in right!

Attachments

• hoopah thru shield.jpg
    hoopah thru shield.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 0
  • hoopers first beach trip.jpg
    hoopers first beach trip.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 0

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Pontoon boat, so no problem with the dog being comfortable. Always with a life vest on.

What kind of dog is that jeffnick? Looks a lot like our Goldendoodle.

Yes, Goldendoodle. Two parts Golden Retriever, one part poodle. He doesn't shed and is hypoallergenic. Aren't they wonderful dogs?

He 'works' as a comfort dog, visiting Retirement Homes and Hospitals so the folks there can experience his magic. His name is Merlin.

leer94

Seaman Apprentice

We take our Coonies out now and again...

rangerboat.jpg

mooseboat.jpg

Ranger, The bluetick, ( laying down) has a tendency to want to get out and chase critters he sees on shore.

We hold them on a leash unless we are stopped fishing...they also have life vests. We know two folks who have lost their dog while running WOT out on the water. They only go if there is someone to hold them and someone to drive.

salty87

Commander

plan ahead for bathroom breaks. they get hot and drink more on a boat, esp if you let them swim....our boat is stocked with its own supply of tennis balls. our labs won't try to jump out but they won't really lounge until they've gotten to swim. make sure you have some shade too, they need breaks from the sun.

do the training. a poorly trained dog can be a real hassle when you're already dealing with launching and a ramp and whatever else jumps up to be dealt with.

post-swim chill time
DSCF1139.jpg

haulnazz15

Captain

I don't know of a whole lot of dogs who ever try to jump out once a boat is moving (aside from at idle). Once the boat is making a wake, most dogs wither lay down, or stand up to get their face in the wind. We have had goldens, cocker spaniels, etc all do the same thing. I would recommend a life jacket be available for thm, but we haven't ever used one. We don't normally let them swim unless we're at the dock or anchored in close to shore where they can swim in if they get tired. They do need fresh cold water, and a place in the shade.