Johnson 5.5 to be used in saltwater.

cvtech1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just bid on an outboard motor that is an older 5.5 Johnson and didn't notice that the seller said this is a freshwater motor. I will be using the motor for saltwater is this going to be ok? Anyone?

Re: Johnson 5.5 to be used in saltwater.

It's great in that if you win the motor, you won't be getting one that's been ravaged by the corrosive effects of salt water. Whether it remains corrosion free in your possesion depends on you. Frequently flush it internally and rinse it externally, and keep exposed metal covered in a thin coating of grease and you'll be fine. You may even come to understand why so many of us love these little old-timers.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Just flush it with fresh water after every use if you can.
My 6hp (1984 model ) has only ever been used on salt water. It is flushed in freshwater only once a year when the boat comes ashore for the winter and the engine comes home for its annual service without any major issues

Dont leave the engine lowered into the water if you can avoid it.

Check to see if it has an anode or anodes anywhere. Zinc is rendered ineffective after use in fresh water so if there is one scrape it clean or replace it. (Pretty sure it wont have one. A 5.5 predates the practice of fitting anodes i think)

It is good that it has only been used on fresh water. It should have suffered only minimal corrosion.

cvtech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the grease and the anode advice. Where does the anode go?

cvtech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I hear people love these small outboards, but I just learned that the one I bid on has a fuel line that is pressurized and hard to find a tank for. Is this going to be a problem? I read that the tank is also dangerous. Can it be converted or am I stuck with a dangerous and hard to find tank? Anyone.

cvtech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, will look for instructions on how to do it.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Thanks, will look for instructions on how to do it.

The tanks aren't hard to find, you just need to know who to ask on here.

I like this article, lord knows we should all throw our BBQ's away for fear of pressurized fuel and explosions.

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/02/columns/max/02/wawrzyniak.htm

I don't think the tanks are as dangerous as that site makes them out to be, guys all over the place still run them and don't blow up. The conversion isn't ask simple as just putting a fuel pump on and being done with it. I still run the pressure tank on my 55. It's up to you.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

The tanks are not that hard to find and a used one will only cost a tad more than a new single line tank usually... what year 5.5 is it? And if you read the article Brad posted it tells you how to convert the 5.5 over. It's not that hard. I have many engines that use pressure tanks and other than changing the O rings on some of them they all work great. I have no problem with pressure tanks.

cvtech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I believe I won the bid and will wind up with this motor. I should of read more before bidding LIVE AND LEARN! This motor will be a kicker motor but it comes with no tank or hose. So still deciding which way to go.What would you guys do with no tank or hose, find one or convert? By the way what is an A/V plate? This was posted about an anode. Thanks all.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Well that all depends, if you have a non pressure tank and line i'd convert. If you only have the built in tank in the boat i'd get a pressure tank then you will have 2 tanks, maybe someone who replied about tanks on your post hint hint might help you out, rumour has it he has quite a few.

cvtech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks all, I love this site, and do support iboats as we all should. By the way I worked it out with the seller and will try to find another motor at a reasonable price. Need a used kicker for a 17ft Bowrider. Will look here and other sites for the best price. I'm located in Houston Tx. Any help will be appreciated.