Skeeter hard to steer

DKennimer

Seaman
Hello all-- I have a 1988 Skeeter sf175sx and it is very hard to steer! Any suggestions, new cables? grease? This is my first boat...

phwrd

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Skeeter hard to steer

My boat sat while i rebuilt the wireing, dash & gas lines. The steering seemed stiff so i kept puttin grease in it. Got worse.

Don't use the same grease you would use on wheel bearings. Someone will correct me but use something called "White Grease" ?

I ended up replacing the steering after it wouldn't move at all. Did go with the No Feedback, great system.

leer94

Seaman Apprentice

If the cables have outlived themselves, greasing them will not do any good.
Disconnecting them from the motor and seeing if they are still stiff is a good idea.

grego

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't use grease on any cable. Use Graphite. sand,dirt.salt all stick to grease, graphite is a dry lube, that will give your cables a longer life without buildup. Cars, boats, motorcycles, all move smoother. A small tube will lube several cables.

DKennimer

Seaman

Great information guys, Thanks! I'll disconnect the cables from the motor first. If I do need to replace them, is it very hard??? Again, Thanks!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Not too hard..... just have to measure properly and order the proper cable. iboats has most replacement cables and the customer service will assist you in the proper order.

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Be sure to clean the inside of the tilt tube,this is critical for having smooth steering.I normaly use a 5/8 drill a couple of passes is all thats needed.Put some 2-4c or never seeze on the cable when installing.GL,Ted

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Thank you Bob! Is mine a rotary system?

Look under the helm. If the mechanism that the cable is attached to appears circular in some aspects, it's rotary. If you see a long straight mechanism, its a rack system...

DKennimer

Seaman

Be sure to clean the inside of the tilt tube,this is critical for having smooth steering.I normaly use a 5/8 drill a couple of passes is all thats needed.Put some 2-4c or never seeze on the cable when installing.GL,Ted

The "tilt tube" is that where the cable hooks up by the engine? Thanks for the advise!

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thats it,also when installing the new cable don't make any sharp bends and don't kink the cable GL Ted

leer94

Seaman Apprentice

Great information guys, Thanks! I'll disconnect the cables from the motor first. If I do need to replace them, is it very hard??? Again, Thanks!

IMO...being the patient sort of guy I am ( NOT)...routing them is the hardest part ( depending on the boat)

...and if I were doing it, I would pull a nylon mule line or nylon pulling string along with them, so in the future if you need to feed something from the front to the back you have a string there you can just tie on to.