AQ211a choke problems

kragmin

Cadet
Hi, im new to this forum in a desparate attempt to get some help, im not sure which carb i have as there's no id plate, ill post a pic below and im not completely mech minded but slowly i hope to get there. I dont have deep pockets so i can't call the mechs in. when starting the engine from cold it can take 5 or 6 attempts to get it going. would i be right in saying that when i prime the engine 2 or 3 pumps off the throttle and turn the ignition on that the choke plate ( if thats the right word) should close. i've checked that there's voltage coming to the electric choke, after that im not sure how the rest of it should work or what to look for,some help in trouble shooting would be really Appreciated.

Attachments

• carb1.jpg
    carb1.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 0
  • carb2.jpg
    carb2.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 0
  • carb3.jpg
    carb3.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 0

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: AQ211a choke problems

The choke should be closed when the engine is cold. Once the engine starts, and power to the choke, it will open as it warms up.
In your pictures. If that engine is cold, the choke should be closed. If not loosen the 3 screws holding the electric choke cover on, and turn it till the choke just closes. (make sure the throttle is up about 1/4 throttle to keep tension of the idle screw when you do this)

kragmin

Cadet

Many thanks Don S, i will check and adjust tomorrow, thanks for the help sounds easy when you know how, need to sort another with issue with my throttle, when i engage in forward then to neutral it remains in gear, a quick flick to reverse then to neutral to bring it out of gear it has also happened in reverse in the past any idea's or should i start a new thread thanks

Don S

Yea, start a new thread, with two completely different problems things get confused and missed.

kragmin

Cadet

Ok loosened the screws and rotated until the choke closed 360 clockwise, worked fine, from then it seems every time before starting the engine from cold you need to check and re adjust. I was told that the carb was rebuilt before I got the boat. Now I?m thinking that the carb hasn?t been setup somehow. I?ve now got the workshop manual that I?m working of. Working with the outside of the carb linkage etc page 45 no 53/54 it refers to the spring tension, then turn to the 0-mark on the choke housing. Turn what to the 0-mar there?s no corresponding mark on the bit you turn. I?ve also noticed that the vacuum break setting seems to be wrong as the linkage sits about half way within the travel area of the vacuum break. Now that I can get the choke closed the engine starts first time but from then its constant re adjustment of the throttle to keep the engine from stalling until it reaches operating temp, then she sits fine at 750rpm sorry about the lame questions but any advice direction would be great if anyone can help

Don S

After looking at your carb pictures a bit closer, I think you may have an automotive carb on your boat. NOT a good thing. The first thing I noticed, is you don't have a vent tube for the float bowl that dumps into the carb. Without it, if the needle sticks, the gas would just dump all over the top of the engine and not into the carb
attachment.php

Also the screw that would hold the flame arrestor on has been cut off flush.
Another fire hazard.

Then on to the idle problem. The reason you have to readjust the choke, may be because of your carb having a stepped high idle cam.
Yours should be smooth as shown in this picture.

attachment.php

You need to look at it and see if it is stepped, similar to the picture below?

attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 0
  • vent tube.jpg
    vent tube.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 0

kragmin

Cadet

Don there is at the very least one step on the idle cam i remember seeing that.
the flame arrester could you possible point that out, im assuming its best then to locate a new carb,any idea's where to start,

Don S

The flame arrestor goes on like an air cleaner, but is metal and prevents flames from blowing out incase of a backfire.
Yea, you need a new MARINE carb. I haven't had to look for one, so you will probably just have to look around. Don't throw that one away yet, you may need the linkage for the cables.

kragmin

Cadet

The flame arrestor. yes i do have it and it does sit on top i think that the hole inner pin that holds the arrester comes out when, i lift it off. so the differences between the on i have and a marine would be the idle cam and the vent tube. there is a hole now i remeber where the vent tube should be and its angled at thie direction. Is it possible that this is a marine carb that has been modified.???

Don S

Those flame arrestors are bolted on, they don't just sit on the top of the carb. You can see where the stud was cut off that carb.
With a stepped cam, missing vent, and the throttle linkage bolted on, it looks and sounds automotive to me. Most of the vent tubes were cast in, not added in later. That drawing I posted doesn't really look like any I have seen.

kragmin

Cadet

thanks don think im going to have to locate second hand and refurb. there's one on auction site Item number: 270515480600 think i'll ask some qustions

Don S

You can look at that carb and see what I mean about the vent, and just the overall looks of it. It looks like a marine carb, yours doesn't.
Hope you get it and it's rebuildable.