1997 Starcraft Fishmaster 190CC Resto

cc190cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Greetings,

I purchased my first boat last year, 97 Starcraft Fishmaster 190CC. I used this boat for the season, alot of leaks or one large leak apparently. I have started a complete restoration on this boat. Apparently the person which owned it before me did not take very good care, the flools are very swollen, some oxidation beging on hull. I paid 4k for this boat, probably to much, had the fever when i purchased, runs well, 97 Merc 90hp.

I started the restoration today, i have 7 hours in so far, what a nightmare. I have to pull out basically every single trim/interior component to get the flooring out, i want to repaint the center console and what not anyways. I am going to post some pics this afternoon after day two of renovation. I think i have a good handle on this project but do you have few questions regarding replacement foam and exterior paint down the road. Im sure there are people on here that have been doing this for longer than i have been alive, if you see anything im doing wrong of have any advice i would appreciate it.

IMG_0250.jpg

Chad

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1997 Starcraft Fishmaster 190CC Resto

you should post the pics in the post (you can get the link in the share option and paste it in the insert image in the post)

EDIT: Only put them in-line if they are 640x480 or smaller. Thanks - ezmobee

[IMG]http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac41/cc190cc/IMG_0248.jpg

like this.

i have a 21 ft cc i'm doing

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer

Welcome to the evergrowing Starcraft Club. Many of us are going through complete restorations with similar boats. One suggestion would be to leave out the carpet when your done. You have several other options, Durabak, Glass, Paint w/ non skid...That carpet must be hard to clean fish blood and guts. Do a search on paints here as well..Some of use Rustoleum..some use Petit EasyPoxy which offer many color choices.

Good Luck, look forward to watching this come together.

cc190cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey thanks on the carpet advice, this model actually comes with a full vinyl floor, sides. I have done some research on replacement vinyl options. I am cutting out foam right now, about to remove floor board, probably going to be disaster underneath. Previous owner really neglected, really like the boat though and have no option but to restore. I am seeing some pitting in aluminum, couple of places on bottum of hulll.....i will post pics looking for advice later after i finish taking floor out.

Chad

cc190cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Brrr...got cold again. I was able to remove one half of the floor today, all foam is water saturated from previous owner, now frozen foam. There is some significant corrosion, im going to post photographs. If anyone has any experiance with similiar or has a good recomendation let me know. I was thinking about gluvit or fiberglass, inside and out. Im still up in the air about taking all foam out from under floor but im thinking i probably should. Spraying new foam in afterwords i wouldnt think would be very difficult.

Day 2 Photos
http://s884.photobucket.com/albums/ac41/cc190cc/

Chad

Photos of area needing gluvit or fiberglass repair?

IMG_0415.jpg

IMG_0416.jpg

jspano

take a look at my thread, EZ's, Rick, or just about any one doing an alum. boat restore and you will see how it's done.

i was just going to replace the wood deck.
then the transom was shot
then i found water soaked foam.
then corrosion.
all i can offer is what have done. i took everything out of
the boat. removed all the bottom molding on the sides where
it meets the deck, then the
decking(try to keep as much intact so you can use as a template,
same
with the transom)
i used a long handle shovel and was able to pop out large pcs. of
foam starting at the bow (front). remove the stringers
(long pcs of alum used to
secure the decking) and set aside.
i then pressure washed the hull out.
then used comet to scrub and then pressure washed again
then i used a product that is used to remove rust stains it is
a acid product so if you use it take precations. it's similar to
sharks hide(alum cleaner but cheaper)
then wire wheeled any spots that didn't look right or had any
white corrosion.
i used alot of stuff to clean the hull before i used the acid wash
including easy off oven cleaner.
check out all the alum threads and you will see similar process.
just remember that alot of these guys have boats that have
never seen salt water and do not have ant corrosion problems

there is alot of good people out here to help and encourage you,
you will see many different opinions and will have to make some
judgement call yourself.

read as many threads as possible, your not alone

jspano

a quickie on foam. stay away from spray foam.
it impeads water from running to the back of
the boat. once you have the old foam out
be sure the drainage spots are open in the center
of the ribs.
use extruded foam. if you live in the north you
can find it in the big box stores in 4x8 sheets.
it's usually pink,yellow or blue depending on the
manufacture.
extruded foam is like 98 % closed cell foam
expanded foam (the white stuff) is open celled
i'm probably going to use pool noodles as i can't find
the sheets down here(also edit your profile to show where
your from if you haven't already)

cc190cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey thanks, i updated my profile, i am in eastern CT. Im glad to see alot of people are in same situation (not actually glad because it sucks but... ya know). It made me sick when i first noticed the shape this boat was in, but now i have to deal with it and thankfully alot of you guys are going down same road or have been down.

Thanks for the advice on the foam.

With the weather here and work i dont know how often im going to be able to work on this until spring is here but i will keep it updated every couple days. THIS MUST BE DONE BY MARCH/APRIL

Chad

Huron Angler

Admiral

Nice looking rig, looks like you are getting her torn apart pretty good:)

I'm almost done tearing into my 16' SS and I'm glad I didn't have any foam to remove.

That will be a nice fishing rig when you're done, good luck with the project, and welcome to the Starcraft club:D

cc190cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Greetings,

The weekend is almost here, getting ready for a full day of work on the resto tomorow. I figure i still have at least a day of gutting to do tomorow. Once i get this thing gutted, i was thinking i would sand down areas with corrosion and either put a protective layer of gluvit or fiberglass over it. Any thoughts, specifically the rivet areas in the photographs earlier in this post. I really am just trying to get a few years out of this thing.

If preped well...will fiberglass stick to aluminum??

I will post pics of progress tomorow.

Chad

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Epoxy most likely will. Polyester no way.

cc190cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Greetings,

Wow is it cold out. Unfortunately my boat doesnt fit in the garage on the trailer so i have to break from working on it until it warms up till at least 35-40. I have probably about another 2 hours of foam removal and then i was thinking i would bring it does to river and see where the leaks are.

I am working on tracing, cutting and sealing the replacement deck plywood inside of my garage. The existing plywood is water logged, appears to be swollen, and measures 3/4 of an inch thick. I was thinking the plywood was actually 5/8 swollen to 3/4. Now that i have bought the 5/8, im thinking originally it was indeed 3/4. Do you guys think the 5/8 will be fine. I am sealing it up with expoxy. There wont be anyone over 200 pounds in boat. I already started cutting otherwise would return and get 3/4 A local boat guy told me that 5/8 is what comes in most boats.

Thanks for any input.

Chad

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

5/8 will be fine and the local boat guy is probably right.

cc190cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Greetings,

Decided to take the motor off and foudn that you need a special tool (lift eye). LOL I figured there would just be a hook, now i know. Local marina let me borrow one for all of the sand worms ive purchased. Gonna get engine off tonight, build a dolly for boat, and whell into garage. If i take engine off it will fit with inches to spare. Trailer is to wide to go through door. Here are some photos. More to come. Does an April 1 completion date sound crazy?? Thats what im really shooting for.

Here are some pics, check out the whole album.

IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

IMG_0431.jpg

Chad

North Beach

Commander

Chad, everything you're experiencing looks about spot on for a Starcraft CC. We just about all got stuck with the poured in place foam:( You should replace it with the blue or pink extruded-it's way better than the poured crap.

My 89 has 3/4" decking so that's prob what you had. I just finished a closed bow last year from 66 that had 1/2" and it turned out just fine.

I'm actually thinking about removing all the carpet, foam, and topside vinyl and blasting everything. We'll see how that works out!

If you want it finished by April, then stay on it and it will happen:D

And keep posting them pics!!!

cc190cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Greetings,

Here are some photographs from last nights effort. Boy there is some nasty looking stuff on the transom. Salt/Oxidation...Yuck. I will update this later after todays effort. Looks like i will get to go home early from work because of snow!!!

Here is a photobucket link with alot of photos.

IMG_0467.jpg

IMG_0478.jpg

IMG_0480.jpg

IMG_0485.jpg

IMG_0486.jpg

Chad

cc190cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Greetings,

I have finally gotten all of the foam out, got the gas tank out, now the boat is fully gutted. There is some extreme corrosion in some spots, hull must be close to paper thin.

I have read several posts and know i am not supposed to use a wire brush to clean aluminum because of metal peices from the brush imbedding into the aluminum and corroding. What should i use to prep the surface, green scuff pads i believe are my first choice.

Alot of photos to come tomorow.

THank You in advance,

Chad

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer

I had the same corrosion on mine. I used a 40 grit flapper disc. It cleaned up well then Gluvit over all areas. I actually skinned over my transom (inside) gluvit on new aluminum (old sign) and gluvit on transom, clamped together. Check out my thread for procedure.

bananaboater

Ensign

Greetings,

I have finally gotten all of the foam out, got the gas tank out, now the boat is fully gutted. There is some extreme corrosion in some spots, hull must be close to paper thin.

I have read several posts and know i am not supposed to use a wire brush to clean aluminum because of metal peices from the brush imbedding into the aluminum and corroding. What should i use to prep the surface, green scuff pads i believe are my first choice.

Alot of photos to come tomorow.

THank You in advance,

Chad

I used JB Weld on the deeper corrosion spots on my hull. Pleased with product, tough and sticks well. Topped off with Gluvit.

Albert