What log book(s) do you use if any?

themaniam1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I want to start logging all my outings, maintenance and fuel consumption etc. I am feeling it is important to keep one, so I was wondering what everyone who does this uses. I was going to make a spreadsheet but really do not know what all to put in it. I also realized that I probably need more then one book, a trip log and a maintenance log but not sure if I should buy some and if so which ones or just make them in Word and or Excel and then print and bind them. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

ziggy

Admiral
Re: What log book(s) do you use if any?

glad ya brought this one up. i've thought about doing it myself. good job..

i do mine all on the computer. since i'm just a trailer boater i have no need to keep a ships log. but here what i got.

-a base item list so i don't forget the essentials
-what i call a boat log. it has the date i went out, destination, weather, how long i was out, misc. and notes.
-a list of compression readings from whenever i take them, at least once a year.
-a repair log
-a to do list
-a want list
-a winterization form w/a 40 item checklist to be sure i got everything

my best success has just been using word or works and their tables. the repair log i think i'm using a spread sheet of some kind that keeps track of how much i've spent on repairs.

BaileysBoat

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I keep a log book in the glove box on the Stanley. I make an entry for every outing.

Apart from the date and weather I always enter engine hours, fuel taken on, engine oil added, or any other mechanical or hull issues that come up.
Any modifications, installations are noted as well.
Regular maintenance is entered as it is done.

In the off season all the raw data is there to calculate fuel economy or what have you, or to document warranty issues.

Always enter the fun stuff, fish caught or not, interesting events, wildlife sightings and guests on board.

You are documenting your life!

arks

Lieutenant Commander

I use a spiral bound 'Ships Log' that I got from West Marine. Simple but effective.
I keep in onboard.
It has separate sections for vessel specs, cruise destinations, fuel, radio, and maintenance logs, and inventory part #'s like filters, impellers, lamps, etc.

ShipsLog.jpg

tswiczko

Master Chief Petty Officer

Not a specialized book of log but just a 5x9 notebook. I have a pre float check list, yearly maintenance check list boat and trailer, mileage for the trailer, I also record what, where, fuel, hours, passengers, anything note worthy like the time I saw a beaver on the ohio river even if i just go out and visually inspect the tarp in the winter I log it and the time it took me to do it and what I looked at ( eyes,ropes,tiedowns,etc) date. I record everything Drives the wife nuts but I feel it is worth it.

themaniam1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not a specialized book of log but just a 5x9 notebook. I have a pre float check list, yearly maintenance check list boat and trailer, mileage for the trailer, I also record what, where, fuel, hours, passengers, anything note worthy like the time I saw a beaver on the ohio river even if i just go out and visually inspect the tarp in the winter I log it and the time it took me to do it and what I looked at ( eyes,ropes,tiedowns,etc) date. I record everything Drives the wife nuts but I feel it is worth it.
I never thought of trailer mileage but that make total sense for maintenance of the bearing and brakes.

I too feel it is a great way to document that portion of my life like a boat journal. My wife will be the one who will use the note section for sure. She is a big time document-er.

I also thought that it might come in handy in case of an insurance, legal, warranty or maintenance issue. Keep it coming please.

Mike Robinson

I found that anything I print from my inkjet printer is not water resistant, so if you use your own spreadsheet keep this in mind.

BTMCB

I keep a small notebook on boat. One page per outting. Date, time off departure from home, time at destination, engine start time, end time. Total engine running time, total time on water. Notes of trip. Enter when I buy fuel to calculate burn rate. Enter problems if any that occur (still under warranty) and work / maintenance done. Actual records / papers kept at home. Also, enter trip data in calendar on iPhone. And have a GPS app in phone and I save each "track" for average speed, top speed, etc. and any photos of that trip. Finally, all my checklists are on phone too in notes section.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I use nothing and probably over maintain each year. i do however keep all the old parts that I have replaced and paint marker the date changed on them. Most of them are still in working order.

Dick Sorensen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've always maintained some sort of log; even when I didn't own the boat I was on. During the dreay days of winter, or when having a heated discussion with another boater, or when trying to remember when I performedsomemaintenance item or who I had chartered with.....etc. I referto my log. I use a 'bound' notebook so that a page cannot be removed without anyone knowing it....If you keep an underway log (Not practical usually) with data such as when you fueled, when you turned on your nav lights, or anchor light....you have a document you can use in a court of law.... But, the real reason is that helps you be a better boater.

Bearfan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I will admit that I am not diliogent enough in my record keeping. Maybe I'll start after reading this thread.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

I keep a maintenance log in my shop. I use it for three vehicles and my current boat. I track my boat maintenance by date and engine hours. I also keep information on my trailer in that log.

In the boat I keep my fishing log. I track date, weather, tides, location per gps, bottom structure, depth, fish caught kept and released. We had a good year with this boat last year. We had many 100 fish days with about an average of 4 of us fishing. On those days we kept an average of 8 legal fish. We also weigh our grouper, both whole and fillets. We were able to keep about 410 lbs of fillets last year...made for some good family and neighbor fish frys!!

themaniam1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow this is great info. There are so many good ways to use logs. I can see how they can help you become a better boater and improve our seamanship.