Yam No Reverse

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Was installing a new Yamaha 60 HP 2 strokes engine, with engine off, forward gear is ok, when reversing props spins freely, same if driving flywheel with hand and gearing reverse, no reverse whatsoever, prop keeps spinning freely. What might be the cause, any advise ?

Happy Boating

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yam No Reverse

if this engine is brand new out of the crate I would suspect cable installation or a control box malfunction.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

if this engine is brand new out of the crate I would suspect cable installation or a control box malfunction.

Yes, the engine is brand new, if clutching reverse by hand or by control box the prop spins freely to both sides, as nothing happened inside, on the contrary, clutching forward by hand or control box functions perfectly

Not even with engine on works in reverse by hand or control box. Will go for the warranty. Thanks

Happy Boating

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Pull the lower unit and check the shift pawl at the waterpump. Sounds like someone let it turn as the foot was being installed. It could be an easy fix...

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

If you do much at all to it yourself they may say you caused the problem, so I would take it in just to be safe, in case it is not a easy fix.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

If you do much at all to it yourself they may say you caused the problem, so I would take it in just to be safe, in case it is not a easy fix.

Wasn't thinking at all to place my hands on this new engine no matter how simple to fix was, strict warranty issues, will let Yamaha tecnician do the work, thanks.

Happy Boating