68' Crestliner Del Rio Imperial Restoration

Geekdriver

Cadet
Hey guys,

I figured it was time to start a thread on my restoration. I am going to be working on this thing over the winter and hope to have it in the water for Memorial day weekend.

I have been reading as much as I can around here and appreciate all the advice that's available! I have ripped out the deck and am trying to decide on how to proceed with painting. Here are some pics!

4277874146_1c8a52266c.jpg

4277128529_4a79eabc5a.jpg

Geekdriver

Cadet
Re: 68' Crestliner Del Rio Imperial Restoration

I do have a question about the decking. I think the PO replaced the original decking at some point. When I took it out it was just two pieces of plywood, right on top of the fiberglass stringers. Is that how I should put it back together? or should there be something on top of the fiberglass? heres a pic to illustrate.

4277128863_018d6968f2.jpg

Geekdriver

Cadet

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I am wanting to have a deck in soon, and I am stumped. It seems to me there should be something on top of the stringers. are there usually cross braces? I don't want to use carpet, I would like to get that old school look...

thanks guys.

Spinnaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

By the look of your first pic you may have more problems. Check your transom and yes, the floor will sit on the stringers and is tabbed along the sides to the existing box or hull.

Geekdriver

Cadet

How should I go about checking the transom? It seem fairly solid. I would hate to go and drill a bunch of holes in an other wise ok transom. Here is another shot:

4277129595_673290c04e.jpg

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

First of all great looking boat!! Love the looks of it!
To check your transom the only sure fire way I know of to determine what shape it is in is to drill holes. Start as low as you can and use a very small drill bit. If the shavings come out dry you are good to go! If not, well its time to dig a little deeper!
If they do come out dry just fill them back up with resin (I believe that is what people generally use). It wont jeopardize the strength of your transom...

Hope this helps!!

scott11

Seaman

When i tore my floor out of my boat i couldnt tell by looking at my transom that it was rotten but once i started tearing off thr fiberglass layer over the wood i could see the wood was soaked in water and basically mush. I dont even know how it supported my motors weight.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

By the looks of the foam that boats hasn't been very wet. On my aluminum crestliner the foam was soaked and totally destroyed. If there is water in you transom you can run an ohm meter between the bolts on the transom. Any continuity is probably water. Still won't tell you if there is dry rot though. You can see if the transom flexes when you stand on the cavitation plate, but ultimately the only real way to know for sure is drilling. But I think it looks pretty darn good for the age. You can look at some of the rebuild pics I have on mine. It's a tinny but other than that pretty much the same model as yours and I love it.

osborn159

Petty Officer 1st Class

really nice looking piece of the past, id drill the transom and refill w/ resin or 5200, id hate to see you spend time and $$$ on the deck and glass and paint just to find out after 1 season the transoms going better to find out now and if need b replace it.
cool boat, good luck, D

Geekdriver

Cadet

Thanks guys.
I have been doing a ton of reading and I am now on the same page. I hadn't full appreciated the amount of work I will be doing. A few more small holes in the transom will be far better than the prospect of re-doing it all over again after a year or two.

I will begin drilling this weekend!

Matt