battery storage

kfouryou

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This might be a stupid question but can I bring my marine batteries in the house inthe basement for the winter where it's warm or should I leave them in the garage?.My concern is gasses comming off the batteries

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: battery storage

If your worried about your batteries, fully charge them, and set them in a ventallated area.

shuswap119

Seaman

If your garage has a chance of freezing, bring them in. Off gassing won't be a problem unless you are charging them. Have a look at your local auto parts store, there will a number of batteries out on display.

Regards,

joe009

Petty Officer 2nd Class

what i do is to bring them in and put on a battery minder pluse.it keeps the batteries fully charged and desulfates also.

204 Escape

Ensign

I built a plywood box, and lined it with styrofoam, and charge them once a month. I don't have a battery minder YET !!!

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

Dont put them on a bare concrete floor. Put them on top of a couple of 2x4's.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

One thing no one ever seems to say is keep the batteries clean, if there is a skim coat of yuck? across the top, the two posts will start to discharge through this, just take your multi meters probes to the top of a dirty battery and you will see the results.:)

truckermatt

Petty Officer 1st Class

i keep them in my unheated garage on top of 2x4s and hooked to trickle chargers 24/7 it keeps the batteries from freezing

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Batteries are a continuous chemical reaction. Keeping them cold slows it down. As long as they are charged the cold garage is better than the warm basement. Did your car battery ever fail in the winter?

Concrete make no difference.
Clean tops is true as well to prevent discharge.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you leave a fully charged, properly filled, and disconnected battery in your boat all winter, it should be able to start the boat in the spring. If not, then it needs replaced. The cold only hurts them if they are discharged, then the freeze and break.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

they don't usually break but if they freeze they're done... the ice deforms and shorts the plates in the batt

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer

If you leave a fully charged, properly filled, and disconnected battery in your boat all winter, it should be able to start the boat in the spring. If not, then it needs replaced. The cold only hurts them if they are discharged, then the freeze and break.

YEP, Fully charged and cleaned. I don't even disconnect them. If it doesn't hold a charge, it goes. Better to find out early. Usually get three years....tractor, truck, boat......doesn't seem to matter. However, cleanliness can NOT be overemphasized:)

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I have left them in the boat and charge once a month.
This year i brought them in my shop.It was just better than running my charger out to the boat.
Either way if they are charged they will be fine.

pmillar

Petty Officer 1st Class

A battery tender (any smart charger really) is nice from the standpoint of preventing overcharging. You don't want to cook your battery, eh? Are you using a trickle charge?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I have a Shumacker Smart charger.It is digital readout and stops charging when the battery reaches 100%
I use it on the 2 amp setting and usually just a couple hours tops the battery off.
It will also tell you if the battery is bad.
Walmart used to sell them.