Good Merc Mechanic around Bradenton, FL?

RickV1955

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am retiring and heading to Bradenton, Florida in just a little over 5 weeks.

I bought a 2005 19' Proline Center Console fishing boat with a 115 Mercury (Optomax) Outboard, last March (2009).
Having to head back to Mass. I "buttoned" it up....put some stabilizer in the gas tank (had about 1/4 tank of a 50 gallon tank)

I just returned from Florida and being so damned cold down there, was only able to take the boat out once.

First - the hydrolic streering was frozen (from sitting, I assume?) We had to tap it a bit to break it loose. Was a bit stiff, but loosened up more and more as it was driven.

Second - I added about 35 gallons to fill up the boat before we went out.
The engine was a bit sluggish....would run and then sputter a bit (particularly at slow engine speeds)... Could this be caused by the gas filter?

Third - had an intermitent alarm going off. A continuous beep....would come on and off. Don't have any idea as to what this might have been?

Sooooooooo, didn't have the boat out all that long. I plan on taking it to a Mercury mechanic and have it all tuned up.

Does anyone know of a good Mercury Engine Mechanic around the Bradenton/Sarasota area?

Thanks for any info.

Rick

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Good Merc Mechanic around Bradenton, FL?

Rick, good to hear you are about to make your plan come together..sorry to hear about your Optimax. I know you have several sensors on those motors. Most important is overheat and oil level. Either of those could cause the alarm. Also, did you treat your gas with stabilizer before you left it? Bad gas can cause some stumbling issues. Also, you may be in need of having the 'ol SeaFoam treatment to help decarbon that motor. Being where I am, I am not aware of a mechanic in that area, but this should bump your post back up and maybe get someone else to chime in....

Blevins

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Good Merc Mechanic around Bradenton, FL?

BEST TECH IN BRADENTON IS Shawn Bresling (941) 224-4045. Awesome pricing. Amazing work. Please tell him Aaron with the Key Largo sent you. Itll help me out and then the next person you send can you tell him you sent him. Mechs appreciate this stuff and shawn does an amazing job.