88 hp Johnson charging question

surrender

Petty Officer 1st Class
1996 88hp johnson. Motor has 3-9 amp rectifier to charge battery. i guess it is UN regulated. Will this overcharge battery if I run long distances to fish, like running at high speed for up to an hour or two? Will it keep battery charged if I'am running livewell pump(going to put high speed pick up in so I can turn it off while running) stereo(will turn up while running, gotta hear something besides the motor) fish finder /gps combo, and possibly lights if early morning? Dont want to get where I'am going and need to fish (drift over near shore wrecks) with the motor running.

surrender

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 88 hp Johnson charging question

No info or help on the charging issue?

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

As far as I can see 88hp models only have an unregulated rectifier. (90 and 115 hp modles hving a regulated one)

The 3/9 amp stator though is fitted to fitted to models with power tilt and trim. Would then have expected the regulated rectifier.

The answer is to look at what is under the hood. A water cooled rectifier regulator bolted on top of the crankcase in place of the lifting bracket or the round 3 wire non regulated type bolted on the side.

Even if you have the unregulated type you should be Ok provided you have a good sized battery. If you find any tendency to overcharge the battery you can always put the lights on (or do you have LED lights that draw next to no amps?) or the pump.

To determine if you have enough power to run live-well pump, lights, stereo and instruments etc you need to look up how much each takes in amps, multiply each by the number of hours in use and compare the total with the output in amps from the engine multiplied by the hours run.

surrender

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have an unregulated three wire rectifier. I will do a load calculation and see how it turns out. i have yet to but the pump or redo the lights so I will take that in to account when i do shop for them. LED lights will probably be a good idea to offset the drain from stereo and pump

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Most of the 88's were unregulated, and overcharging can be problem-esp if you travel long distances. If you install a simple volt gauge on the battery, you will find that the engine will charge the battery up after 10-15 minutes of normal running (planing). After that, the charging volts will go up to 15 or 16 volts. If you run for an hour, that means you will be overcharging for perhaps 45 minutes. This overcharging means you need to keep an eye on your battery water level through the summer-a good maintenance tactic for any boater. As bad as this may sound, most boaters don't have battery issues on these unregulated engines as frequent stops and running the power trim take battery power. Also, running the stereo, pumps, etc, will help knock down this charge. You may be able to retrofit your model with a regulator. Check your OMC dealer and ask about 585195, about $95.