Just curious - whats everyones plans for retirement? other than 401K

ezbtr

Commander
i'd like to start investing like I used to, whats a good safe, steady investment, Im 45 but want more than 401K and SS.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Just curious - whats everyones plans for retirement? other than 401K

i retired younger than you are now. you will never save enough.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Lottery!!!!!!!!! Without that, there will never be enough these days... In this economy, just keeping a job and keeping your head above water is difficult enough...

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

The best thing I have ever done in my retirement was to sell all my mutual funds and buy Ford stock. At $2.45. I had already dumped the mutuals and had it in a money market acct. I just took a gamble, bought on emotion, when I read they were solvent, and would not take any gov't money. I just recovered any and all my losses from when the market tanked two years ago...and then some...:)

rogerwa

Commander

Walmart greeter. After the losses in the market and then putting my kids through private high school and college, I will be broke.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Mrs Ken and I are looking into buying a small year round campground resort on an inland lake. Seasonal sites, boat rental etc and have an outboard repair business on site.
Time will tell.

paulspaddle

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Freedom 95 Plan.

fishrdan

Admiral

whats a good safe, steady investment

Gambling :D

I pulled a healthy chunk out of my 401K before it tanked, watched it like a hawk for it to bottom out, then moved it back into aggressive funds. I'm much better off than I was 2 years ago,,, well 401K wise anyways...

I have to tell you though, I was sweating bullets doing it and my wife thought I was crazy. Hey, what can I say, I live in Vegas :rolleyes:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I've maxxed out my 401K ever since I started working at 24(now 51). I also have done numerous additional IRAs even though they weren't tax deductible. I was telling all my younger friends to max out their 401K at the beginning of this year but few listened to me. My 401k went up over 40% for the year. What happened this year may never happen again and many missed out on it.

Most people wait way to long to start saving for retirement. You need to start in your 20's.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

loto ticket, anyone else:D

eastont

Chief Petty Officer

Marry a woman with a really good pension plan.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

I'm hoping to discover a "Go Broke Slow scheme"

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I've been planning for years for a 20 year old rich girlfriend.STILL WAITING!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Something besides social security payments...that is one ponzi scheme that is destined to fail and I won't be getting anything back in 30 years:eek:

Commodities are a safe play since they hedge against inflation(that check is in the mail) or anything denominated in something other than dollars.

I think investing in means of production(anything that generates electricity like solar/wind/geothermal) is a good way to go once the economy of scale kicks in and the prices come down some.

Glad to hear folks have recovered some with the stock market being up this year(like it had anywhere else to go:)).

My 401k looks better too since I stayed out of stock funds and was all in bonds until last April when it started to rebound.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

the only way your going to be able to do it is to play by your own rules. And I wont knock it because you have to do what's right for you.
You need to start some kind of business, work for yourself, and pay little to no taxes. 70 an hr goes a lot further when the fed, state, fica and SS keeps their hands out of it.

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Army retirement.
VA disability compensation.
SS disability.
I retired at 24 on the taxpayers dime. I would much rather be able to walk without a limp then take your tax money though.

Wife and I both will be retired state workers with full health coverage. We will get this and SS and a small IRA account. Keeping or debts down at this point is very inportant to our future spending. We may sell our home and protect the cash and then rent a small condo later.

slia67

Petty Officer 1st Class

...Roth IRAs and rental properties that will provide passive income.

You need to sit down with a financial planner and find out where you are now, and where you want to go. Then you and your wife need to determine if those goals can be reached or if compromises need to be made.

Good Luck, if you need more info shoot me a PM. (I don't want to bore everyone)

j_martin

Admiral

We're gonna sell the farm and put it in rolling stock. Thinking Dodge diesel, fifth wheel camper, and pull the bass bote behind. Another plan would be a motor home and a trailer with the bass bote and a golf cart (or equiv) on it for touring.

We'll visit one of our many children. When they get fed up with us enough to buy fuel to get to the next one, we'll be on our way.:D

skargo

Banned

I can't believe no one has mentioned real estate, that is my wife and my retirement. For now, they provide a nice monthly income, but when we retire we will sell all of our rentals.