How do I remove my Johnson outboard starter?

GLPmike

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,

Any idea how to remove the starter from my 1968 Johnson 65 hp v4?

I removed the two bolts that feed from under the starter in to the metal bracket which is attached to the engine block.

The problem is the two bolts can not be completely removed in order to slide out the starter from the bracket.

What am I missing?

Thanks for all your help,
Mike

lindy46

Captain
Re: How do I remove my Johnson outboard starter?

You'll probably need to remove the bracket from the engine to get the starter out of the bracket.

GLPmike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks. I was able to remove the small bolt under the bracket. What a dirty pain.

The starter is frozen solid. Just soaked it with wd40.

Should I attampt to rebuild it or should I buy a rebuilt unit for about $85?

Before removing it I direct connected it to a new 12v battery and got nothing but a little smoke.

Thanks,
Mike

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

remove the bracket, you will have to any way, to install new one.

GLPmike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks. I was able to remove the starter. It was frozen but I was able to take it apart. Is there a rebuild kit available? If so, how much? The other option is to replace it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

When I attempted to start it directly from the battery before removal it did nothing but throw off a little smoke.

Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

replace you have burnt the armature also.

GLPmike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Really? Only after a few seconds?

How can I confirm this before spending $150?

Thanks

lindy46

Captain

Possibly could be rebuilt by a motor shop, but look for a good used one on ebay or go to AOMCI.org and place a free want ad on "Webvertize". You should be able to find a good used one for a lot less than $150.

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Take it to a rebuild shop,But more than likley you burnt it up connecting it to the batt.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Look for shops in your area that rebuild alternators, generators, automotive starters, electric motors, etc. Many of them will rebuild outboard starters too. If yours is rebuildable and they handle that sort of work, you can probably get it rebuilt for about a hundred dollars.

Look around on the internet for new ones too. Sometimes you can buy a new one for about the same price as a rebuild. In fact, some of the old OMC starters were also used on industrial motors and other small engines, so the availability is much better than you might think, considering the age of the outboard involved.

???

GLPmike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the suggestions.

After talking to a few folks I decided to order a brush kit for this starter ($18). I will clean it and install the new brushes and give it a try.. If nothing, I will scout around for a new/rebuilt unit.

Thanks again.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

After talking to a few folks I decided to order a brush kit for this starter ($18)
I assume these "few folks" actaully inspected the brushes before making that recommendation!
Clean up the commutator when you fit the new brushes, but if its badly burnt you will have to replace the whole rotor as well as the brushes.

GLPmike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Actually, I described and took pics and sent them to some local marine techs. No burn marks at all, guess I was lucky.. Will give it a good cleaning and use the air compressor on it before installing the new brushes.

Thanks.