Adding trailer brakes

riverkeg

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm looking for opinions and advice. Thanks in advance. I have a '91 Rinker 206 on a tandem axle trailmaster trailer. I bought this rig late last summer. Fully loaded with fuel and gear, I think the package is around 3800-4000#. I want to add brakes so that it is safer and legal. Before I go further, I'm not going to use electric over hydraulic so please don't recommend them. I just can't afford to buy them. So, my choice (I think) is either surge hydraulic or electric with a proportioning controller. A few other factors: the trailer has an A-frame tongue, I only boat in fresh water, costs =< $700, and I have 2 vehicles I could tow with. Oh, and the axles do have the brake mounting plates and I think they are 3500# axles. I'm not looking to start a debate but I'd like some experienced opinions and advice. Thanks again. Kevin.

MRS

Commander
Re: Adding trailer brakes

My old trailer had rusted out surge so I took all that stuff out bolted the tounge up and ran electric worked great. My new old boat trailer had no brakes so I added electric and they work great also, ran in fresh water with the old on four years and no problems. I know some do not like but I would rather run with some kind of brakes than no brakes

Bifflefan

Commander

Electric is the easiest and most cost efective choice.
Then just get a second controller for the other tow rig.

I have never been a big fan of the surge type.

I do miss the old style of electric that hooked into the master cylinder and then harder you pressed on the brake pedel the more electricity went to the trailer brakes. But those have been gone for many years.

For me with electric I set them a little higher than i really need (not alot) so in an emergency i have a little more trailer brake then. I have never met or heard of anyone that can get to the control box in an emergency situation in time to hit the switch to add more brake.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I do miss the old style of electric that hooked into the master cylinder and then harder you pressed on the brake pedel the more electricity went to the trailer brakes. But those have been gone for many years.
The new ones that are integrated into the trucks use the brake pressure and there are aftermarket ones out there that do the same.

I am not a fan of electric brakes for boat trailers. I like them for other trailers though.

Also, you can't get electric disk brakes.

I won't recommend electric over hydraulic even though I think its the best! :)

The one problem with both electric and electric/hydraulic is that after you launch the boat, you have to dial down the gain on the controller or you will be skidding your tires. You just have to remember to put back up when you put the boat back on.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

try one of the new controllers with a pendulum inside...... they work almost as well as the old ones of which you speak.... stay away from the controller with a time delay though as they don't react to a panic stop...

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

http://www.brakecontroller.com/

at the bottom of the page you will find:

...........The second style of brake controller is inertia activated. These brake controls function the same as the timing activated with the exception of a pendulum sensor. With this style of brake controller the pendulum senses the inertia of the vehicle deceleration and proportionally stops the vehicle at the same rate. These brake controls have to be mounted to a certain degree and perform the best in areas without many inclines and declines. Some models come with digital displays and direct plug in. ............

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

And right below that is described the one with accelerometers(measure inertia) which all the newest and best ones are designed with. You don't want the pendulum type...old school. You also have to have them completely level for them to work correctly.

The best models available like the Tekonsha P3 and Prodigy do not use pendulums.

I use the P3.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Go with the ectric drum setup. As was stated it is the best bang for the buck...

Additionally, Use a Prodigy Controller. I have them in both of my tow vehicles. One thing I really like about them is that you can set the gain for normal driving/braking scenario, then it has three additional Boost levels. So, You can increase the gain a certain % over your setting just my pushing a button.

So, say you set your controller for country road driving at about 50mph, then you hit the interstate and are running 70mph, you can reach down and push a button to increase the trailer braking pressure so that in a panic stop you have a little more trailer brake to reduce the chance of jackknife...

Great controller.... Others may have that feature as well, I just know about the Prodigy...

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Electric brakes also work when backing down the ramp - surges do not.

riverkeg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So far, most seem to prefer the electric if the electric over hydraulic is not an option. As far as the brake assemblies themselves, are there any brands to stay away from? Keep the opinions coming. You are most helpful. Thanks again.

riverkeg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Also, doesn't there need to be some kind of braking provision in the event of vehicle separation? How is that handled?

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Also, doesn't there need to be some kind of braking provision in the event of vehicle separation? How is that handled?

surge = spring and cable release

elec = small battery and breakaway switch.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I personally like the pendulum controller..... the all electronic ones do work very well but so do the pendulum controllers.... they do not brake as hard on steep upgrades and they are more agressive on downgrades..... I veiw that as a plus.... They are also cheaper and simpler than the top end models.... There is no one single correct answer however and everyone will have their own preference...... On brake controllers the most important advice I can offer is don't get the absolute cheapest ones that apply the same amount of brakes at first touch as they do when you slam the brakes on in an emergency.... Also definately avoid the timed delay units..... either the pedulum units for around for around $80-$90 or the all electronic for around $120-$160

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Or watch ebay, I got 2 envoy controllers for about $50 delivered. One was used but functional, the other was NIB. My dad has a non-proportional controller, and it is a PITA. Guess what is on the gift list for him???

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Or watch ebay, I got 2 envoy controllers for about $50 delivered. One was used but functional, the other was NIB. My dad has a non-proportional controller, and it is a PITA. Guess what is on the gift list for him???

I think I got my Prodigys from ebay. Can't remeber as it has been quite a while...

Best money I have spent for trailering...

riverkeg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I noticed at the controllers website mentioned earlier, they have a 2nd vehicle package for the prodigy which allows you to easily move the controller from one vehicle to another. I like that idea. It was only $15.

To continue this discussion. If state law allows (Illinois, Missouri, and maybe Iowa), would it be too bad to only put them on the rear axle?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You want to put brakes on both axles. Two reasons for this. One is that its the law in most states and is the safest. Second is if one of your magents fail or wiring opens up on an axle or one wheel, you have still have brakes!

Definitely go for the Prodigy or the P3. The P3 is the newer model. I bought the P3 and sold my Prodigy. Definitely get the ready made wiring harness for your vehicle if your vehicle is brake controller ready since all you have to do is plug it in and no wiring is necessary.