Spark plug Question

ljc1957

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've got a 1966 Seaking/Chrysler, 50hp outboard on a 14' runabout. I was on the lake today and the engine fired right up and ran really well. It was shut down for about 30 minutes and, when I went to restart it, it fired, then stalled, then wouldn't restart. It turned over fine, so I suspected it had fouled the plugs again. Anyway, sure enough they were fouled. Currently, I'm using Champion J6C plugs. Should I go to a hotter plug? Would that be safe in the engine? Thanks in advance

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Spark plug Question

Better stay with the J6C if that's what's recommended for your motor. If your gas is old it can cause plug fouling. Do you have your fuel/oil mixture ratio correct? You might want to try the Pennzoil 100% Synthetic Outboard Oil for a cleaner, less smoke running. Several years ago I bought one of those Harbor Freight Spark Plug sand blasters for $18, mount it on the wall, hook up to your air compressor, works like a charm. After you sand blast plugs blow them off real good with carb cleaner and air to remove sand. I use it for all the chain saws, lawn mowers, leaf blowers, outboards plugs, saves a lot of money buying new plugs and all the motors run great! In fact, my Yamaha is a 1999 and it's still got the original plugs in it. They don't much wear out, but just get fouled with carbon, sandblaster makes 'em look like new! Good Luck!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Spark plug Question

Agreed--stay with that plug or the equivalent. These engines are intolerant to hot plugs and lean mixtures. Live with the fouling and learn to love it. It's way easier and cheaper to change two plugs than to rebuild the engine.--Go ahead! Ask me how I found out when I was young, callow, and thought I knew everything.