Fish Locator/Speed?

HANGEYE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When searching for fish, how fast can I be traveling and still get a reliable reading? I will be mainly in about twenty (20) feet of water but also from eight (8) to seventy (70). Does depth play a big roll from shallow to deep? My locator is an Eagle Ultra. Thanks for the help.

BeaufortTJustice

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Fish Locator/Speed?

Depends...a lot of variables involved. If you start to get "static" or other interference at a given speed, then you probably cannot trust the fish returns.

Depending on how ideal your transducer placement is will probably be your best determining factor in the equation. If it is well placed in a clean water area (no disturbances in water flow) you might be able to travel pretty fast and still get a "clear" image. Other, less than ideal setups might cause the image to break up after only a few knots...again, it depends. In shoot thru hull applications, any air bubbles or other anomolies between transducer face and hull with also cause "interference." Water turbulence from the hull can also be a factor with either transducer set up.

I have a relatively inexpensive unit that keeps a clear image to about 15-20mph., after that, I trust its depth (bottom) reading, but not the fish readings. Hope this helps answer your question.

HANGEYE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the quick response. My locator is a portable model. I have mounted the transducer on a "L" shaped piece of stanless to a piece of hardwood that I clamp (with a "C" clamp) to the transom. I keep the transducer about 3 inches below the bottom of the boat. Would this be a good set-up?

John_S

Rear Admiral

Thanks for the quick response. My locator is a portable model. I have mounted the transducer on a "L" shaped piece of stanless to a piece of hardwood that I clamp (with a "C" clamp) to the transom. I keep the transducer about 3 inches below the bottom of the boat. Would this be a good set-up?

While that might be good for readings, it will probably produce a very large rooster tail. At that deep and at 20-30mph something might let go, as well. If I understand your arrangement correctly, you should be able to keep moving it higher until you do have bottom reading problems, and then just drop it back down a little. Usually around 1/2" below is good.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The ability to hold bottom or mark fish at speed depends on the unit?s output, it?s ping and update rates along with the quality and mounting of the transducer.

I have no problems marking fish @ 40 mph and have to be pushing 500? pretty hard before I start having issues holding bottom.