under dash wireing

basshunter62

Seaman Apprentice
hi all i have a 95 pro craft im trying to figure out the wireing i have 4 toggle switches nav/ancor wiring ,airator,bildge all working there is a tan wire w/blue tracer just hanging. i connected it to batt voltage and im getting a small draw not enugh to blow a fuse or make a dead short but somthing is drawing from this dose anybody have a wireing diagram or know what loan wire is for:confused:

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander
Re: under dash wireing

hi all i have a 95 pro craft im trying to figure out the wireing i have 4 toggle switches nav/ancor wiring ,airator,bildge all working there is a tan wire w/blue tracer just hanging. i connected it to batt voltage and im getting a small draw not enugh to blow a fuse or make a dead short but somthing is drawing from this dose anybody have a wireing diagram or know what loan wire is for:confused:

Tan/blue wire is used for the engine alarm on my Mercruiser engine. I have this wire going to three places on the engine, and attaches to the warning buzzer under my dash.

Not all engines were ordered with the alarm system installed, but the wire is part of the wire loom (bundle) and can be used to install the alarms, if desired.

Happy boating!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Arbitrarily connecting "unknown" wires to ground or +12 volts is a good way to destroy sometimes very expensive components. If you don't know what it's for, trace it. You may find that even in your car there are lots of unused wires because the accessory they are intended to work with is not on the vehicle. As was mentioned, it would be nice to know what it is you are working on. There are two wiring systems on a small boat. 1) the boat harness which is rigged by the boat manufacturer. 2) The engine harness which is provided by the engine/drive manufacturer.

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Have seen some dashboards go up in smoke because someone figured(I'll just put it there)Read the previous replys and disconnect that wire until you know for sure what it is for. My$0.02