Help with custom boat and prop

madhunter

Cadet
Here is the deal.

My brother built this custom alum. boat and bought a new Yamaha F60 four stroke motor. It came with a 11 x 15 prop. When he ran the boat it jumped up onto a plane like a rocket and after trimming out and giving a bit of throttle the boat drops into the water and the prop just spins, like a spun prop.

I am sure that first of all that original prop is not the correct prop for his setup. The boat is a 16' x 78" with a 18 degree dead rise at the transom. He also has an extended transom that sits back 16 inches from the back of the boat. He has plenty of play as to play with the motor height as well. As for weight I would say that it is similar in weight to the same size hughes craft boats. It is also similar with cab forward design, placing plenty of weight in the front.

He is getting me some pics to post of the back half at the side to show the design if that would help.

What we are looking for is a starting point for the prop.

Thanks to all those with useful information.

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: Help with custom boat and prop

pics are definately needed, if it is a ventilation issue.

Have you determined that the prop hub is not sliping? 'cause that's what it sounds like.

madhunter

Cadet
Re: Help with custom boat and prop

We are ruling out the spun prop first. I have experience with that too and it is what it sounds like to me. I am not near him though, he is in Seattle and I am in Wisconsin. So he is getting a new prop on it and taking it out in a couple days.