Berkley Fireline?

Huron Angler

Admiral
Just curious if anyone has an opinion regarding the fused Berkley FireLine.

Even better someone who's fished with it:)

I picked up some and haven't even casted with it yet. I got 10lb test smoke colored which is pretty dark. I'm hoping it will do ok on my Quantum baitcaster this spring:D

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Berkley Fireline?

I was a religious Fireline user for 3-4 years. It's as all the rage with the local light tackle guys.

My impression, I liked the ease of handling, knot, etc. but it was little more sensitive to abrasion and cuts than I would have hope. Getting cut off now and then was expected when you fished rock piles, shell bars, etc. Even tried using a short monofilament top shot and still had issue with getting cut off.

Since then switched over to Suffix Performance braid. Slick stuff. Abrasion related failures are things of the past. Still use a 30?? long, fluorocarbon leader as a top shot leader. If nothing else it makes it quicker and easier to swap out tackle, at least for me.

gonefishie

Commander

shouldn't be a problem with casting but will cut a groove in the line guide, top one, if the guide is soft.

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer

So as a newb would you pros recommend I start with a mono line and a Fluorocarbon leader? I have some of the Fireline as well but don't want to misuse it. Nor do I want to mess up my new St. Croix (This is my first foray into fishing with better tackle than a $19.95 Combo.)

extreme76

Seaman

What is the application. I use both mono and superlines depending on application. Superlines have allot more "feel" and go deeper with diving lures. Mono has more stretch which in some cases is a good thing.
-
I don't know for sure but I bet the guides on your St. Croix will handle fireline no problem, the 19.95 special not so much.

scipper77

Commander

Fireline is great. It casts well and doesn't break off with the slightest wear like mono. For me 6-8 lb fireline is every bit as tough as 12 lb mono.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I don't know for sure but I bet the guides on your St. Croix will handle fireline no problem, the 19.95 special not so much.
Braid grooving guides is for the most part a thing of the past. As long as your rods have aluminum oxide or better guides you will have no problems. I run a small rod repair business and have yet to come across a guide damaged by braid.

fishrdan

Admiral

I think Fireline casts more like mono than other "superlines" since it has a coating. It casts further than mono, for the same given line strength, and has better sensitivity, lure feel and detecting a bite. As it gets older the coating will begin to wear off a bit and I've used it without breaking when you could clearly see the fibers, at that point I reversed the line and buried the old part of the line at the bottom of the spool, with the virgin line on top of the spool. I like it, but don't use it much anymore, even have a few spools of it sitting on my line shelf still.

I like casting mono better than superlines because I can change out the mono frequently (cheap) and mono gets fewer backlashes than braid. If you are casting a heavy lure, try to launch it to the next zipcode and then get a backlash, the super line has almost 0 stretch and will snap the lure off. I used to have spectra on a lot of reels, but not anymore. All of my trolling reels have spectra on them, with a mono topshot.

I don't use fluorocarbon unless I know it's going to make a difference, fishing a party boat with 20-30 other guys. With all of the fish I've caught not using fluoro, and then trying fluoro and not seeing a better catch rate, I'm not sold on it for all around general use. While using it, I would do as dingbat mentioned, a short 3' leader.

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer

Fireline is great. It casts well and doesn't break off with the slightest wear like mono. For me 6-8 lb fireline is every bit as tough as 12 lb mono.

We go fishing in Ontario Canada three seperate weeks a year for pike ( and bass when it's open ). All I have on is Fireline in 20 lb test for the lighter rods and 30 lb for the heavy duty set ups.

I have more of problem with steel leaders than Fireline. ( meaning none at all with the fireline )

I'm extremely happy with it.

Jeff

tpcowfish

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I also had fireline wear problems on rocks with cranks, I now use it for perch fishing cause the bite is so lite anymore here. Pretty sensitive to the lite bite, hook set is there too, no stretch when there just mouthing it, But also went back to mono for most apps. It will last forever it seems with no rough structure,not for clear water, make sure you tye a good knot too