Hummingbird Matrix depth Sounder

KiwiDownUnder

Recruit
I have a Matrix 12 Hummingbird Depth sounder and all works fine except the depth sounder part does not work. I bought the unit off ebay a while ago as brand new but my guess was that it was a factory reworked model with the problems I am having. The first head unit I had worked fine for 2 or 3 months and then no depth reading. A little odd I thought but I managed to get another head unit from a friend which worked a treat for again 2 or 3 months. Now I have the same fault. No depth reading. I suspect the transducer is the cause of all the problems killing the head unit but does anyone have any ideas on the circuit in the head assembly. I would guess only a blown transistor but not quite sure where to start. Any help appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Hummingbird Matrix depth Sounder

How does a depth sounder work okay except the depth sounder part doesn't work??

You have already gotten more out of yours than I ever got from any H'bird.

Capt'n Chris

Chief Petty Officer

Used electronics of any sort should always be purchased without any expectations whatsoever.

KiwiDownUnder

Recruit

Depth sounders do more than just show depths these days, gps functions, plots etc. Just wondered if someone might have some useful tips. Thanks;)

triman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Kiwi, I'm from just over the ditch in Melbounre.
Bought a Matrix 20 through E-bay a few years back - not bad for a monochrome unit.
If you've had the smoke come out of the depth sounder bit twice I'd be looking carefully at the transducer end. Once is bad luck but twice is stretching co-incidence.
I haven't looked but you may be able to find a transducer on Fee-bay or another such site.