Flush muffs,and their use

brihen

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 60hp 4stroke Yami (2006). I have run it in the yard using only the hose connection, with no (so far) apparent problem.Now I have heard flush muffs should always be used. It looks like in the manual it says to use the muffs to "flush" the cooling system?. 1. Is it OK to use the hose connection just to keep the motor cool while running it,and not trying to flush the system ? 2. What is the upper hose connection used for? 3. What would be the safest way to fire up the motor in the backyard? 4. where can I get these muffs? (I did not find any on this web site)Thanks.

Last edited:

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Flush muffs,and their use

You can buy the flush muffs at Walmart and I always use mine anytime I run the motor out of the water since they inject water directly into the intakes to the water pump and then through the rest of the motor. I'm not dead sure that the flushing hose fitting on the motor cowl really gets adequate water down to the pump, and you sure don't want to take a chance to overheat/melt your pump impeller/housing. Better safe, than sorry. Good Luck!

brihen

Seaman Apprentice

thanks. I guess the muffs are the way to go. I hope I did not damage my impeller,which seems like it would be the most likely component. We ran the motor for around 15" to warm it up,while winterizing, and at no time did it get hot.When I get those muffs,will I be able to tell if the pump etc is working OK when I start it up this spring? I would like to fire it up at home before taking it out.

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

thanks. I guess the muffs are the way to go. I hope I did not damage my impeller,which seems like it would be the most likely component. We ran the motor for around 15" to warm it up,while winterizing, and at no time did it get hot.When I get those muffs,will I be able to tell if the pump etc is working OK when I start it up this spring? I would like to fire it up at home before taking it out.

Yes, connect the hose to the muffs, clamp the muffs over the water intake ports on the motor leg, turn on the hose to full stream and start the motor.

You will be able to tell if the impeller is working by watching for the tell tale stream coming from the powerhead.

robert graham

Admiral

You're probably in good shape but check that tell-tale stream of water with motor running. It may be time to check/replace your impeller anyway, if it hasn't been done since new in 2006. I'm confident that you haven't overheated/damaged your power head, just maybe the pump. Good Luck!

brihen

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you very much. I dont think the impeller has been changed,although I bought the motor used from the original owner

machicj

Seaman Apprentice

i cut a 55 gal. plastic barrel off so it's just above the captivation plate. works great and i don't have to worry if it's getting enough water.

Triton II

Commander

i cut a 55 gal. plastic barrel off so it's just above the captivation plate. works great and i don't have to worry if it's getting enough water.

I put a barrel under the lower leg then use muffs. The barrel collects the water and once full covers the inlets, so I can then turn the hose off and take away the muffs, then use the hose on the cylinder head inlet. Saves water and does a thorough flush!

robert graham

Admiral

Triton 11, I have to admit, that's a pretty darn neat idea you have with the muffs and the drum. I've thought about maybe the drum with a gallon or 2 of vinegar or other mild acid to flush salt and mineral deposits out of motor. If I ran a lot in salt water I know for sure I'd be doing that. Good Luck!

brihen

Seaman Apprentice

I was thinking about a barrel
I have some 5 gal paint buckets,and some 20gal plastic garbage cans (and metal) laying around. Would you take the prop off first?

Triton II

Commander

Brihen,

I had a FT60 Yam for years used almost always in saltwater. No need to take off the prop, just make sure she's in neutral.

I used a cheap, clear 120L storage container with rollers. Raise the motor, position the container underneath, lower the motor into the container till the skeg almost hits the bottom of the container (but don't let it hit or you'll bust out the bottom of the container) and fit the muffs. Connect up to hose, turn on flat out, then start the engine. After a few seconds she should start peeing through the telltale. Here in Australia we have a water shortage, so I even collect the telltale water in a bucket. As the container gets full - and the intakes in the lower leg should be underwater by now - then shut the motor down and turn off the hose. Take away the muffs and connect the hose to the cylinder head inlet. Turn the water back on and restart the motor.

Run it for a couple more minutes, then shut her down and carefully raise the motor bit by bit as you pull the container backwards. Eventually the prop will clear the rear wall of the container and you can extract it completely. Then use the water to wash the rest of the boat and/or to water your garden!

Result? Happy motor, boat and garden and much lower water bills! :D

PDSNIPER

Cadet

The hose connection on your yamaha is to be used only when you come in from a salt water trip. You connect the hose and flush the motor without running it "only". It could also be used if on a fresh water trip you somehow got into some really dirty water. If you run the motor while using the hose connection only you will automatically destroy the rubber fins on the water pump impeller. You may still look and see that it is still peeing water but it is just a matter of time (usually when your 10 miles from land). The big danger is overheating the motor. In all the yamaha manuals it warns you of what I have just stated. You can repair with the impeller and gaskets. I'm pretty sure the pump housing is ok. The repair process is easy and can be done in the backyard by yourself. I LEARNED THIS THE HARD WAY AND THAT'S WHY I KNOW THIS.