Please help can get my 30hp mariner to run right!!

Smokepole27

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was given a Jap made 30hp Mariner 1987. Put carb rebuild kit in new head gasket rebuilt the foot and water pump rebuilt fuel pump tightened tiller throttle cables installed new prop. I am still haveing problems, when I start it it barely wants to run so I adjust the idle until it is idleing great. I place it in gear and it wants to die on me so I idle it up some more, after that take it out of gear and its idle is wayy to high and it pops clicks and idles down on its own and then ramps back up. So I put it back in gear and run it and it studders then gradually gains speed and smoothes out but doesnt seem to go as fast as Im pretty sure it will go, I mean a 15 horsepower flat passed me yesterday!!! So I come off plain and adjust the air fuel mixture to relieve the studdering. Run it again, on plain and it seems like its missing come off plain and its idleing up and poping and idles down and then back up. Go to get on plain again and studders again. Serious of adjustments later I get it to run good run it for almost a half an hour. Go make a hunt come back and start it again and its running like garbage again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What am I doing wrong or is something broke????? PLEASE HELP this has been going on for almost a year and I really dont have money for a new or used one!!!

Smokepole27

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Please help can get my 30hp mariner to run right!!

Any body??? Is it really that bad?

dtruck

Cadet

patience bro. someone will eventually help you out

bassfan2326

Recruit

Same thing here man. Jap. 30 hp Mariner that is giving me fits trying to run smoothly. Been messing with it the past few days and still trying to figure out what carb adjustments I need to make. If you could tell me, where is the air/fuel mix screw? Please let me know if you find anything that fixes your problem as I am having the same issues.

lineman22

Cadet

I didn't read anything about timing. Look up link and sync. I will go right along with the more experienced posters here and suggest a service manual and search these forums. Good luck.