Re-Power Advice

tomandjen43150

Seaman Apprentice
I have an 87 Bayliner Capri - 19'. Max rating is 125. Can I put a 135. I am doing a resto and any advice would be helpful. Also I am thinking mercury,
evinrude, or yamaha.

Tom

gbb

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Re-Power Advice

Doesn't the max rating answer this question?:D

Islandbrah

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would stick to Yamaha. A little more up front but well worth the initial expense. as far as exceeding by 10 hp.... that wouldn't affect too much but a warranty if you went with new or insurance for exceeding the max rating. if those are not concerns then I'd go for it if you got a deal.

tomandjen43150

Seaman Apprentice

I understand max rating, I just dont want to underpower my boat. I will look at Yamaha. Thank you

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

Are you looking for a brand new motor or a newer used motor? Either way the motor would likely cost signifcantly (3-4x) more than what the boat is worth alone.

There are a lot of good motors on the used market. (Mercury, Evinrude or Yamaha) To me it would make sense to find the best deal you can on a good used motor in the 115-130 HP range. Expect to pay in the neighborhood of $2.5k+ for a good used motor with a proven maintenance history.

tomandjen43150

Seaman Apprentice

Are you looking for a brand new motor or a newer used motor? Either way the motor would likely cost signifcantly (3-4x) more than what the boat is worth alone.

There are a lot of good motors on the used market. (Mercury, Evinrude or Yamaha) To me it would make sense to find the best deal you can on a good used motor in the 115-130 HP range. Expect to pay in the neighborhood of $2.5k+ for a good used motor with a proven maintenance history.

- Probably a newer use motor. I am restoring the boat and plan to keep her a while. I do know I will stay away from force. To hard to find someone willing to work on it. I have found a couple for around 3k and up to 6k. I just have to figure out shaft length. I have some time as the boat resto is just starting, but I am trying to get ideas and learn a little.

Tom

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have an 87 Bayliner Capri - 19'. Max rating is 125. Can I put a 135.
Tom

Bad idea, Tom. Stick to 125 or less. If that is not enough you have a waterlogged scow.

Maxum21

Petty Officer 1st Class

In my opinion, it depends on your transom.. Is your transom solid? Any flexing when you put weight on the outboard? If its in good shape, i wouldnt worry about the extra 10hp. As far as performance goes, i had an 18' bayliner with a 90 force. ran about 35 mph. at 19' a 125 should do ok. Bayliners are light hulls

tomandjen43150

Seaman Apprentice

In my opinion, it depends on your transom.. Is your transom solid? Any flexing when you put weight on the outboard? If its in good shape, i wouldnt worry about the extra 10hp. As far as performance goes, i had an 18' bayliner with a 90 force. ran about 35 mph. at 19' a 125 should do ok. Bayliners are light hulls

I haven't had a close look at the transom yet, however I had it looked at and
was told it is bad. So I will have to replace the transom.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Pretty much whatever you buy is going to blow the pants off the Force you are most likely replacing so I see no reason to overpower.

tomandjen43150

Seaman Apprentice

Pretty much whatever you buy is going to blow the pants off the Force you are most likely replacing so I see no reason to overpower.

Unless I want brand new (who doesn't) I think the 115 is the most common I have seen and would think it would do just fine. On the flipside I do not want to go alot older. So I am thinking 02 and up. I did find an 02 Evinrude on I boats that looks decent.

Tom

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

An 02 Evinrude will be a FICHT Ram motor built after BRP got all the bugs worked out of the FICHT fuel injection system. Overall, it should be a good motor...if you can do your own service, it could be a great motor. You will need to make sure that the motor has recieved all of the service bulletin work and warranty repairs to confirm its reliability. After that the normal routine maintenance is pretty straight forward. Later on if you do have issues with the motor it may be difficult to find a qualified mechanic to work on it.

ziemann

Chief Petty Officer

Good lord....I will apologize ahead of time for what I am about to post...it may not be a popular post but here it goes. So here is a "I'm Sorry" just to cover my butt.

Just like anything, it all depends on how a boat is taken care of. From the onset, Bayliner was an entry level boat at an entry level price. ALOT of first time boat buyers purchased them and didn't know how to take care of them. Because it was a cheaper boat, the deterioration of the boat seemed amplified- it just wasn't very forgiving. You will see alot of posts discussing issues with this hull. They can be an adequate boat if you get one that was well maintained- that said, the plywood floors, the NON-stainless hardware, and weak transoms are usually the issues that are posted about. Check the entire hull for weak spots and rot.

Bayliners of that U.S. Marine vintage typically have a low market value. Some of the reputation that Bayliner has is deserved...the rest of the reputation can be traced back to poor upkeep and is NOT deserved. Regardless, I am not so sure that I would put much money into that hull. If the transom is rotted out, you may very likely have a boat with more problems than it is worth to try to fix. Check the rest of the hull on that Capri very carefully.

Sorry to discourage you, but do some research on here about that vintage of Bayliner...especially as it relates to transom and other structural issues.

DO NOT exceed the HP rating on that hull. What JB said is 100% correct. If a 115 doesn't make it perform well, you have a waterlogged hull. If there was any boat that I would NOT over power, it would be this hull...

Sorry if I ruffled any feathers....do the research for yourself....

ziemann

Chief Petty Officer

By the way, that 02 Evinrude FICHT would be a good mate for this boat. That V-4 with the updates is a good solid performer. They are very torquey and smooth. Most of the issues related to the FICHT stemmed from the V-6 FICHT units back in the OMC days before BRP took over.

BRP did a good job of resurrecting the FICHT RAM injection and the V-4 (such as the 90 & the 115) was the best of the group...

Good luck to you in whatever you do!

Islandbrah

Petty Officer 3rd Class

With a rotted transom and bad motor you couln't not give me a bayliner. No offense to bayliner owners but its the truth. just a motor n/p but a transom too? save yourself before it is too late.